Flowmaster Products

teenv6

Feb 5, 2003
RAFB, GA
Ok, I have another thread about MAC products, specifically the v6 conversion kit they have. Now what I want to know is who owns a Flowmaster exhaust on their v6 mustang? Does it sound good at low rpm's and hi rpm's? I've heard the MAC exhaust sounds good at low, but not so good at hi rpm's? I want an exhaust if possible at both low and hi rpm's. Will the Flowmasters do this? If so, which exhaust system should I get with Flowmaster, and anything else I will need to purchase as far as h-pipe, or will my stock y-pipe work with this?

Anybody's help is greatly appreciated... Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Flowmaster sounds really good at low rpms (especially when you first start the car). When your traveling at high rpms the tone of our exhausts will sound a bit high because thats the way our cars are(unlike the gt). Everyone will give you a different opinion because of the type of system they have. The best thing to do is listen to as many sound clips as you can find. You're better off buying the type of mufflers you want, go to a shop, have them cut your y-pipe, weld on pipes to and from the mufflers out the back. No need for x or h pipe and don't forget some nice tips. If you want to hear some sound clips go to www.mustangexhaust.com

I have the Force II Flowmaster V6 kit. I love them, down low it sounds really beefy and loud, if you want to eliminate the loundness, drive 250RPS above that sweet stop. Up top the car sounds like muscle rice, its a good tone, but thats the best way to describe it. The Pipes went on easy, just recomend using WD-40 on everything before you put pieces together or else its a royal pain to take it back apart. I love my exaust, I've even herd a couple V6 with a true GT exaust system and it didn't sound nearly as loud. The can also feels like it has a bit more power up top.

Mach428 said:
I have the Force II Flowmaster V6 kit. I love them, down low it sounds really beefy and loud, if you want to eliminate the loundness, drive 250RPS above that sweet stop. Up top the car sounds like muscle rice, its a good tone, but thats the best way to describe it. The Pipes went on easy, just recomend using WD-40 on everything before you put pieces together or else its a royal pain to take it back apart. I love my exaust, I've even herd a couple V6 with a true GT exaust system and it didn't sound nearly as loud. The can also feels like it has a bit more power up top.

I have two questions for you if you dont mind. First, i would like to know if the Force II kit can be installed in a backyard garage without car lift and welding machine.

Second, I read many posts in different forum that talk about Flowmaster products droning when cruising the highway. From your personal experience, can you tell me if you can hear a loud sound inside the car while driving on the highway?

Thanks for your help!

I'm personally still hesitating between Flowmaster Force II and Mac Catback system.

I got Flows and they came with stainless steel from the tires back, looks as good as crome imo. and way better than some of those dumbass tips ive seen where you can see where they hook up. i like my flows they are loud when i want them to be. As far as Mac go's ive heard both good and bad;more bad than good, usally the bad part about them is the a quality issue. but like the guy said earlier its up to you cuz ultimatly its your car.

mike666 said:
I have two questions for you if you dont mind. First, i would like to know if the Force II kit can be installed in a backyard garage without car lift and welding machine.

Second, I read many posts in different forum that talk about Flowmaster products droning when cruising the highway. From your personal experience, can you tell me if you can hear a loud sound inside the car while driving on the highway?

Thanks for your help!

I'm personally still hesitating between Flowmaster Force II and Mac Catback system.

I've got a custom true dual Flowmaster job on my '03 V6 and I think it sounds great, especially in the low end. To answer your question, yes, there is a droning on the highway. For my particular car, if you put on the cruise at about 60-65 mph, you'll have a headache if you're driving for more than about forty five minutes..lol. I'm not saying that it's an awesome deep tone and sounds like a Cobra or something, but there's a very steady deep drone at that speed, especially if the windows are down. I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but also, at those speeds, the entire interior of my car seems to vibrate. I'll have change rattling in my cupholders and, if my stereo's off, you can hear the friggin CD rattling in the unit. You can definitly feel the vibes under your feet as well on both sides of the car. However, this is not a bad thing in my opinion as I was aiming for max sound when I bought the flows. I think someone mentioned above about feeling like their car had more punch at the top end, and I can definitly agree with that. The shop that I got my work done at told me that they only recommend going with the dual flowmaster exhaust for the Mustang 3.8L. Ultimately though, it depends on what you, as an individual, are looking to get from your exhaust. I will say that if I don't feel like cruising to the droning, all I have to do is step it up to about 70-75 and there's almost no drone at all.

mike666 said:

I'm not sure what series mufflers compare to the Force II so I can't really answer your question. I have the 40 series and its loud and has a lot of "droning" as you guys put it. It's called interior resonance, and that's why I got the 40's and not the 50 series. I'd suggest going to the flowmaster website and checking it out if you haven't already. They explain the difference in noise levels of their different muffler series, including how much interior resonance there is.

GO WITH MAC!!!! I have a MAC system installed on my car, it KICKS ASS!!! I personally like MAC much better than flowmaster for a couple reasons. 1) you get a higher flow through the muffler. 2) you are getting all stainless pipes, not aluminized steel. Flowmasters, yes they sound nice, but the MAC is going to let your car breathe a lot easier. Mine actually is almost breathing TOO much!!! Just make sure you get a good CAI to go along with the exhaust to let it breathe properly.