ford t-lok, 3.73, 4.10

ive done almost every modification on my car myself (in the middle of doing my dual exhaust i couldnt get the over axle pipe out so i gave in and took it to a muffler shop). how hard/necessary is it to install the t-lok and/or different gears? if i did go to different gears, which i think i will, which one would be better and again how hard to install? (could i do it myself or with the help of a friend?) thanks

• Sponsors (?)

both the t-lok and 4.10's would help you big time out of the hole. I have never driven a v6 with gears but I am sure you will gain quite a bit..

Now for the T-lok you will need a 28 spline 8.8 t-lok diff. You can find somebody selling one of these easy since many people with gt's upgrade to 31 spline.

svttech76 said:
both the t-lok and 4.10's would help you big time out of the hole. I have never driven a v6 with gears but I am sure you will gain quite a bit..

Now for the T-lok you will need a 28 spline 8.8 t-lok diff. You can find somebody selling one of these easy since many people with gt's upgrade to 31 spline.

Sorry... all S197 V6 comes with a 7.5 rear end, not the 8.8...

newbstang05 said:
ive done almost every modification on my car myself (in the middle of doing my dual exhaust i couldnt get the over axle pipe out so i gave in and took it to a muffler shop). how hard/necessary is it to install the t-lok and/or different gears? if i did go to different gears, which i think i will, which one would be better and again how hard to install? (could i do it myself or with the help of a friend?) thanks

For the gears I would highly recommend you find the best shop you can for the install. I've heard stories of shops even having trouble getting the gears installed correctly... Problem will be if you get stuck in the middle... then what?

Scrming is quite correct. Get the best shop you can find to get the gears installed, preferable a shop you can verify has done a lot of 7.5's and done them correctly.

I took mine to a shop that is supposed to be one of best in the area and they still installed my gears wrong. They howl something awful so I have it at another shop to get them fixed. Most importantly get a guarantee from the shop that the gears won't whine or howl if you can. The shop I have mine at now has given me that guarantee. I wish now I had taken it to them first.

As has been stated in these forums before if the gears are installed correctly they should not whine. It's rare to get a set of gears that will whine regardless of whether or not they are installed correctly so don't accept anything less than quite gears.

Newbstang05:
I too have been doing all my mods, which includes a 3.73 swap & TT install.
How hard: on a scale of 1-10, this is an 11.

This takes alot of time & patience, as well as special tools (read $$$),
some of which I had to fabricate.
I would not recommend this to anyone that has not had
some previous experience with gears.

If you are truly interested in DIY, then at least get
help from someone with experience.
You can also take a look at my 6th & 7th post in this thread:
http://american-speed.com/collective/forums/showthread.php?t=974