Found a Cobra on Autotrader

mcgodx

Aug 7, 2006
It looks really nice, IMO, but was looking for some advice on what to look for. I never have owned a Mustang before so I don't know all that much about them.

I was wondering about the reliability on these cars. I heard something about the secondary runners getting gunked up or something. I'm not even too sure on how they work, but was just wondering about those. As well as overall reliability. It's a '97, and has 56,000 miles on it. He's asking $11,500.

1719247267.218184500.IM1.06.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

IMRC (Intake Manifold Relay Control) - run a search for keyword "IMRC" via the search feature (and on Google as well) and you'll find a few past threads which discuss them.

Other than the IMRCs, there's not much else that you should have to worry about, besides the usual items on any used car.

It doesn't sound like a bad deal based on the limited information. Any mods, aside from the obvious clear corner headlights and different wheels? :shrug:

G'luck... :cheers:

IMRC (Intake Manifold Relay Control) - run a search for keyword "IMRC" via the search feature (and on Google as well) and you'll find a few past threads which discuss them.

Other than the IMRCs, there's not much else that you should have to worry about, besides the usual items on any used car.

It doesn't sound like a bad deal based on the limited information. Any mods, aside from the obvious clear corner headlights and different wheels? :shrug:

G'luck... :cheers:

Sorry about the limited info, I got in a bit of a hurry, lol. One thing I'm a LITTLE bit concerned about is a line on the ad that says "new engine, tranny, rear end, and clutch". Something happened to it, it sounds like... I'm going to find out more but until then that's all I'm workin on. Unless I read it wrong, because he talks about the paint in the same line, and didn't use any periods or anything lol.

It has a new exhaust on it, and I only know that because it looks like the exhaust is dumped in this picture here:

1719247266.218184500.IM1.05.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

I'll look into the IMRC, thanks for giving me the name of it, that makes the search much easier... :D

The car MAY have been painted, I would ask because the side veiw mirrors are body color, he may just of had them painted but I would ask just the same.

AND

Find out if it's a real cobra, look at the VIN, the sixth spot should be a D. The reason I ask is because of the rear deck lid. It has a third brake-light built into it like a GT and an additional one in the spoiler... something is going on back there.

The car MAY have been painted, I would ask because the side veiw mirrors are body color, he may just of had them painted but I would ask just the same.

AND

Find out if it's a real cobra, look at the VIN, the sixth spot should be a D. The reason I ask is because of the rear deck lid. It has a third brake-light built into it like a GT and an additional one in the spoiler... something is going on back there.

Thanks for the heads up... I almost wasted some time there... Sixth digit is a "4".

My Bad the 6th number indicates body type. In this case a 4 would be for coupe. The 8th number should be a V for Cobra engine code 1996-2001

Whew haha. It's a V. I really wanted to like this car so that's good news... haha.

I wonder why the GT decklid then. I don't know why I didn't notice that right away. I guess that's another question for him.

I could be wrong but I believe all 4.6 Cobra's had the regular Mustang trunklid with the integrated brake light. Only the 94-95's had the third brake light in that distinctive spoiler. (I came close to purchasing a new Cobra in '97 and the ones on the lot all had factory spoiler delete with the brake light on the trunk.) I still have the 1997 SVT Cobra brochure so I'll check when I get home.

Or put another way, I think this car has the correct trunklid with an aftermarket spoiler. The painted mirrors are a nice touch but like 01BLKSNK mentioned they came unpainted from the factory.

I think the car deserves a close inspection but if it checks out then it is a good deal. I'd easily pay $10,500 for a clean '97 Cobra with mileage that low.