Found out I'm diabetic

the98stang

Aug 12, 2005
Clovis, CA
Hey guys, just found out I'm diabetic today, but I'm not sure what type yet. This is a big shock for me because I'm so young (19). I read up on the internet and got tested because I had a lot of the symptoms (drinking like a camel and pissing every five minutes). I just wanted some input from anyone. How their life has been changed from diabetis. I know it's not a huge deal like cancer or anything, I just feel alone and lost :( . Thanks for any comments guys.

Tanner

• Sponsors (?)

dude that sucks :( .........my cousin has diabetis since she was a little girl, it can be frustrating cause you are constantly checking your sugar levels and stuff like that, but as long as you have that kept under control you will be able to do most things....... but i dont remember what type she has.

san~man said:
Hopefully you have type I diabetes, which doesn't require injectable insulin. If you have type II, you have to be really careful about what you eat.

Like you said yourself, it's not the end of the world. Eating sensibly and watching your diet will keep everything under check.

I read on wikipedia that type 1 required insulin shots :shrug: . Maybe I'm mistaken. But yea, I should be fine. I'll just be eating a lot healthier...

Family history? Weight problems? My dad (and his whole side) got the diebeteeze. Hopefully for you it'll just be a thing of losing some weight and watching what you eat. There are alot of new medications out which work pretty well also.

Good luck!

BennyDaBall said:
Family history? Weight problems? My dad (and his whole side) got the diebeteeze. Hopefully for you it'll just be a thing of losing some weight and watching what you eat. There are alot of new medications out which work pretty well also.

Good luck!

Well my dads side of the family has been know for the disease. I'm not overweight, but I'm very skinny. I use to weight about 160lbs now I'm down to 123lbs, and I'm 5' 11''. I lost 30lbs over two months. I feel stupid though because I have probably had diabetis for months now. I know this because I've had the symptoms for a while. I was drinking massive amounts of water, but I thought it was because of exercising.

Type 1 Diabetes requires insulin injections, type 2 Diabetes can be controlled with oral hyperglycemic agents like Glucophage or Glyburide. So the level at which this diagnosis is going to affect you is directly related to what type you have been diagnosed with. The fact that you are 19 years old, with the symptoms that you described is classical presentation of Type 1 Diabetes which is almost always diagnosed in children to early adults. This will require checking your blood sugar at least 4XDay with subsequent insulin injections based upon what your Blood Glucose Level is... There is new research that you can fairly well control your sugars with diet and longer acting insulins like Lantus. There is also alot of promising research that definately shows promise as far as making diabetes a much less life intrusive disease. Very sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but not to fear you are far from alone, and as you learn more about it you will slowly become much more confident.

I am a ICU Nurse in Northern Cali...

Man i'm sorry to hear that, my dad was diagnosed back in '96(i think) with diabetes. Most days he'll be responsible with what he eats and the insulin shots and everything will be normal. But some days he isn't and things get can get outta control like him yelling loudly, acting like he's drunk, non-responsive and he doesn't do what you tell him. One time my mom was trying to get his sugar up and he wouldn't have it, i had to bear-hug him to get him to calm down. I've almost cried a couple of times after incidents like this.:(

the98stang: Once again I am very sorry for the diagnosis, I can only imagine how scary it must be right now. Try not to focus on all the Horror Stories you will hear, people live totally normal lives with diabetes. Although diabetes is a very complex disease and I am by no means an expert I would be more than happy to talk with you about it, or even if you just want a bro to talk mustangs with just let me know...

the98stang said:
Hey guys, just found out I'm diabetic today, but I'm not sure what type yet. This is a big shock for me because I'm so young (19). I read up on the internet and got tested because I had a lot of the symptoms (drinking like a camel and pissing every five minutes). I just wanted some input from anyone. How their life has been changed from diabetis. I know it's not a huge deal like cancer or anything, I just feel alone and lost :( . Thanks for any comments guys.

Tanner

That sucks . Few of my friends have diabetis and they are normal just like us.
You will be ok if you take care of your self but I feel you. Sorry about your news
but just to let you know I had so many problems when i was growing up that hospital was allmost like my 2nd home, Just pray and do your best.

Just a few things I used to have- Eye's problem and shut my eye lids for more then 5 month, when I cry I faint so my mom had to watch me all the time .
One time she told me , I cried and I faint , she had to finger inbetween my teeth so she almost lost her fingers. If my teeth were to close I would have died :(

Thank you mom

I'm sorry to hear this man... but like everyone has said, you can live a normal life, you just need to be conscious of your food intake and be good about checking your bloodsugar and taking your meds/insulin (if needed). My great aunt is 87 and has had diabetes most of her life, so this goes to show you that you can live long and be happy as long as you do everything you need to...

stangGT97 said:
I'm sorry to hear this man... but like everyone has said, you can live a normal life, you just need to be conscious of your food intake and be good about checking your bloodsugar and taking your meds/insulin (if needed).

Good post. Also, I'd consider learning the details of how to handle low blood glucose (BG) emergencies. Not so much for treating yourself, but so that you can tell your friends and family about it, so they know what to do when you start to have low BG problems. Believe me, when it happens, you're not going to be able to talk them through it.

And don't be afraid to tell your friends about it. They could literally save your life some day.