Fox Radiator Help

Hi, All--

I'm new to this forum, and tried searching for information regarding installing a Fox radiator into an early Mustang, and have seen references to people who have done this, but haven't seen any pictures or even details regarding what needs to be done.

I've got a 98 Explorer engine that I've converted to carburetor, installed AFR 165 heads on and a new CompCams Cam into, and am running the serpentine belt setup and accessories from an '89 Mustang on the front of it.

I also have a new 3-row Fox radiator, shroud, overflow bottle and top retainers, and I want to install them into my '70 Coupe when I install the new engine into it.

Could someone post information about what exactly needs to be done to the front of the lower frame rails, the battery tray, and any other incidentals that I might have overlooked?

Pictures would also be great!

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

this swap has been done before, but usually you need to fabricate your own mounts for the radiator. you also need to open up the core support to get more airflow across the rad.

this swap has been done before, but usually you need to fabricate your own mounts for the radiator. you also need to open up the core support to get more airflow across the rad.

Hi, rbohm--

Thanks for your response; I'm actually looking for specific details about this swap, which is why I posted this line in my original post:

Could someone post information about what exactly needs to be done to the front of the lower frame rails, the battery tray, and any other incidentals that I might have overlooked?

If, as you've indicated, it's been done, surely SOMEBODY has specific details about WHAT needs to be done, right? That's what I'm looking for . . .

Also, as I indicated in my original post, PICTURES would be GREAT!

Thanks!

best i can do is point you here;

http://www.mustangsteve.com/radiators.html

granted this is a down flow install, but it will give you information that will be valuable in installing a crossflow in your car.

Hi, rbohm--

Again, I appreciate your response and your effort, but I've been to that site already, and the radiator they are showing is the radiator I already have--they're just showing how to install it in a 65-66.

Of course, you know the the radiator in the article comes standard in many 67-70 cars, and that the car I have is a 70, right?

What I need is information and pictures showing a Fox crossflow radiator installation in a 67 to 70.

Surely SOMEBODY out there has info and pictures . . .

yes i know it is standard in second and third gen mustangs, i also know that those rads are about the same width as the crossflow you want to install, thus similar mods are required.

yes i know it is standard in second and third gen mustangs, i also know that those rads are about the same width as the crossflow you want to install, thus similar mods are required.

Hi, rbohm--thanks again for responding and for your effort

Actually, those radiators are not even close to the same size.

The one they show on that site are the standard 24" wide cores with a total width of around 25"-26" or so, that come in 67-70 cars.

Quote from the site:

I used a 1969 4 row - high efficiency core radiator and the 69 fan shroud with a clutch fan and an 8 blade flex fan.

The fox radiator is 30" wide at it's widest point (at the top, from the outside of one tank to the outside of the other--take a look at one and compare it to the one he said he used on that site), and it's a bit narrower at the bottom (maybe down to around 28" or so--I haven't measured the bottom portion)--my guess is they're narrower to help them fit into the Fox chassis.

Obviously, there's quite a difference between 25"-26" wide and 30" wide

The one I have almost fits between the frame rails, but won't without notching each one a bit.

I also need to create mounts on the crossmember at the core support for the bottom of the radiator

Then there is also the issue of the battery tray--it looks like I could move it forward a bit, shorten it's length, and then use a smaller battery (maybe a Fox battery or even a later-model one).

Again, I am looking for info from those who have already installed this combo, and trying to see what it was they did exactly.

Please SOMEBODY who has done this swap, respond with info and pictures.

Thanks!