Roush fox saleen question...

cobra10494

Founding Member
May 14, 2000
North Jersey
Looking to purchase my 1st saleen.It will be a fox vert and my question is what should one look for when inspecting one other than the obvious normal every car potential issues.Any problem areas or "fix'' issues.Probably will buy from PAS as they seem to know there stuff and always have some beautiful cars. Thanks all.

• Sponsors (?)

Looking to purchase my 1st saleen.It will be a fox vert and my question is what should one look for when inspecting one other than the obvious normal every car potential issues.Any problem areas or "fix'' issues.Probably will buy from PAS as they seem to know there stuff and always have some beautiful cars. Thanks all.

well,

If you are thinking about that black vert PAS has for sale, buy it. It's a bargain and was a southern california car so it means no rust. Word has it is that the original owner was a general manager of a Ford dealer so you know it got a lot of love. Also, it has leather interior.

As to your questions.

Look for busted or wrinkled floor pans.
sub frame connector are a bonus.
All of the correct Saleen parts as fox body Saleen parts are few and far between.
Also, when buying a fox vert look for rust next to the seatbelt anchors below the seat bolster under the rear seats. They get water down there.

Goo luck on your search.

Saleen

Some of the things you need to look out for are:
some Saleens came with a fiberglass antenna, these are impossible to find
floormats are difficult to find.

Just make sure the Saleen specific parts are there like
correct ground effects
shocks
wheels
interior
shift knob

Also you can check in the Saleen Book to find out if a specific car had any special sttributes. Also check the following link to see the features of each year.
http://www.soec.org/literature/specsheets/

Last but not least you can ask the guys on the Saleen Club of America forum at
forums.saleenchat.com
It is free to join.

Good luck!!

The car on PAS is clean, but I would hold out for a car with the Saleen Flofit interior, the factory Ford leather in a Fox Saleen never did it for me.

I agree with him...I have a factory leather '87 Saleen convertible but still prefer the flofit interior, part of what makes a Saleen IMO.
A lot of the '87 conv's had leather FORD interior which is kind of a plus because it can be replaced eaisly but I still like the Flofit.

hA HA HA.

What's wrong guys. You don't like the bread loaf leather headrests?

I prefer the look of the Flofit interior also. The only problem is in a vert if the interior has not been taken care of it really shows with the top down.

If only I could find the leftover center section material. There are still a few places here in Los Angeles I have not checked yet.

($50K) but if someone offered me stupid money for it....

But realisticaly whats the chance of that?

I said would never be for sale, someone offering the Franklin Mint would be different.

How can you truly value a '85 Saleen with all the correct parts plus knowing the complete history, owners, and having all the acessories? There hasn't been a complete'85 Saleen for sale in three or so years in the public market........

Dont mean to squash the '85 talk but I found a 88 vert white,white top,blue stripes,white wheels w17k original on it listed for $14,999.It is at a small dealer that sells only rare specialty cars about 30 miles away from me.The pics look fantastic.Going to look at it sat w/cash in hand! Really am looking for an off color like red or blue but blk and white are my 2nd choices.The guy there said car has been listed for several mnths @17,999 and owner just reduced it due to no interest.Seems like a good price,what do you think?:shrug:

Hear is the deal.Saw car today .It is mint.Car #532 white /white/ white wheels blue tri color stripe.Checked all the spots that everyone suggested,it all looks good.Steering wheel,shifter,seats,rug,top all look mint.Exterior 8.5 out of 10.Missing rear left wheel cap.Drove car,it is strong running,tight.The mileage is 23k not 17k as advertised,no biggie.History on car is original owner gave it to son when married then son sold it to his friend[dealer] so they could buy a house.Dealer has it sitting in showroom.The only thing I dont like there is NO original paperwork,just owners manual:mad: Spent 1 hr looking over the car and as i said drove it.Had to flash cash to wrench keys away from dlr to drive it.The car has been listed for several months @17,999.Now listed @14,999.Dealer said he will not take 1 penny off the price,even though I am paying cash and had a $5000 dep in hand.Anyway should i gamble and let it sit a while longer until the snow falls here in jersey,then haggle some more.The 87 pas has is very nice and there are not many verts for sale as we speak at this time.Soooooo whats everyones' suggestion.Will load up pics soon.