Engine Foxbody idle/throttle issues

Yeah but how much did you turn it? Which direction did you turn it?
Advance or retard?
Where did it end up?

Where you started is not as important as where it actually ended up.
If I remember correctly it had to be heavily advanced. I couldn't tell you where it ended up as there were no timing marks lol. I am thinking the timing was still off, so before everything gets put back together I am going to put the heads on, set it to the compression stroke, then set the timing with a light once it's back together.

• Sponsors (?)

When you get the motor up on true TDC see where the pointer is on the balancer. You could have a balancer that the outer ring has slipped or you could possibly have the wrong pointer on the timing chain cover.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
So, got the balancer off this weekend. Rubber is pretty cracked and it seems like some of the rubber is removing itself from the balancer. In other news, the timing chain has quite a bit of deflection inwards, but none outwards. Wondering if it’s a bad timing chain? If it matters, it’s a double roller. I know this engine was rebuilt so I’d hope they put in the new timing chain. (The rebuild seems pretty recent, atleast past 5 years, I got the engine about 2 years ago)

Little update. Timing chain just got here, getting it ready now. I have noticed according to all videos, there is supposed to be a timing mark on the top of the bottom sprocket, and on the bottom of the top sprocket when lined up correctly.. when my key way is at the 12:00 position, the top sprocket timing mark is all the way at the top. Shouldn’t it be on the bottom end? You can see the tiny hole or mark at the top of the photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    775.2 KB · Views: 32
The crank rotates twice for every rotation of the cam. You just need to rotate the crank another full turn.

That wasn’t your issue. Remember, you verified it by checking for TDC on cyl 1 of the compression stroke. Right?
Yes, just didn't know at first. Never had an engine torn this far down before. Should I remove the new timing chain and put it back the way the old one was?

Yes, just didn't know at first. Never had an engine torn this far down before. Should I remove the new timing chain and put it back the way the old one was?
This is how we all have learned....
Some aftermarket timing sets ( chain and gears package) come with more than one way to set them up, standard, advanced or retarded...
For the most part, just match the dot to dot when installing.... One tooth off can lead to a poor running or starting engine....

No, not if you aligned it dot to dot.
TDC is TDC, the camshaft is going to determine if that’s TDC on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke.
So if you put it back together dot to dot, it is correct now.

TDC is TDC, the camshaft is going to determine if that’s TDC on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke.
Okay cool, just wanted to make sure. I’d hate to have to tear it all apart again. I did read the directions and saw where you mentioned that it has multiple options. It is lined up for OE use, dot to dot. I’m getting back on it tonight. Have to get my heads reassembled, change the oil pan gasket, then start putting it all together.

Final question for the moment.. I have dual valve springs (one small spring inside of a big spring). These came on the heads from the previous owner. I got the valve stem seals and it does fit over them, but it’s super tight on the seals. Is this a worry? I’ve had some tell me I should just remove the smaller spring, but I’m relatively sure they were installed due to an aftermarket cam.

Also, forgive me for any ignorance. I know my way around an engine in terms of R&R, but not real knowledge. I’m trying my best to learn lol, and yall have been a great help.

Does the new valve stem seals look the same as the old ones. There are different styles for different situations.

The inner spring is really a dampner, I would reuse it unless you’re going back with a stock camshaft.
That’s what I figured. I got the trickflow VSS that are for “dual springs”. The inner spring is just super super tight around it, but it does fit.

Right now I’m trying to reinstall the springs and holy hell these keepers are going to be the death of me.