Foxbody Parking Lamp Bolt/Voltage Question!

PonyBoy90

Founding Member
Aug 30, 2002
Toronto
I'm looking to be unique and stand out of the crowd and be a bit of a rebel.

I walked into CT this afternoon and checked out what they had in the APC section/Performance section in Automotive.

I wanted to switch out the Orange parking lamp bulbs with either a similar sized "blue" bulb or "purple" bulb.

Now, the OEM/DOT approved orange bulbs are part# 3157NA and 12.8 volts.

The blue or purple APC bulbs are part# 3157 and 12.0 volts.

I asked the CT automotive supply guy what would happen if I installed a 12 volt bulb in a socket made for a 12.8 volt capacity bulb. He believes that the "life" of the 12 volt bulb would be short at the current running to the bulb would be more than what the bulb could carry and eventually blow the bulb out.

Is he right?????????????????? Or can I safely put that 12 volt bulb into the the 12.8 current and not have to worry that I'll need to replace that bulb in a short period?

FYI, the 3157NA and 3157 have the exact same socket-mating base and 4 metal strips, so the fitment would be perfect.

• Sponsors (?)

I did that and it worked fine but DO NOT get any coulour that amber yellow or clear. I had blue in my signals for 3 months and as soon as I went to the city I got pulled and they told me I can only run amber or white (clear) on the front I assume yellow would be fine. I got $110 ticket for thoose 10 dollar bulbs.