From Dragracing to Drifting. Wheel lock up in 78Mph.

Scarry ride, from Dragracing to drifting, in less than 1secound :eek:
The Large pin seperating the axle shaft, broke and the broken parts ended up locking the wheels in nearly 80Mph. The damage was most likely done during the launch. 2year old pin. The ring gear and pinion and differential housing broke.

My right rear wheel was airborne for some time before the car stopped.
Glad i didnt hit into the guardrails.
5hours work, some borrowd parts, 2.73 ring gearing and a diff. and then I drove home, 356miles.

Video from drifting : YouTube - Drivelinetrouble MecaRaceway08

And some broken parts :

ezinm0.jpg

zx0i2r.jpg

Lesson learned :rolleyes:

Attachments

• ezinm0.jpg
    ezinm0.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 58
  • zx0i2r.jpg
    zx0i2r.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Sponsors (?)

Ouch, sorry to hear but great work on saving it from the wall. I have been sideways going down the track, but never to that point. Must have been a real eye opener huh? Glad you kept it in one piece and even happier you got it fixed up and drove it home. Good work and although I doubt I have to say it, don't let that experience hold you back next time at the track.

I'd say the wheel locking up is what saved you from hitting the wall since it also slowed you down quite a bit. You got LUCKY! You should know better though, making 481hp/467ftlb on a stock rear end!

Did I see an 11.40 there while you were sideways? :rlaugh:

Great save mang! :cheers:

I have only been that sideways once at the strip. I was in my 99 FRC Vette and was in the left lane. I slid like you did but it was when I power shifted into third gear. I was looking out my windshield at the drivers side of the black WS6 I was against. I am glad I had the car in Competition mode cause if it wasnt for the stability controll I woulda hit the wall. My brain froze and all I could think was "Well, here goes $50000" :nonono: Now I make sure my rear tires have the same air pressure :bang:

Ouch, sorry to hear but great work on saving it from the wall. I have been sideways going down the track, but never to that point. Must have been a real eye opener huh? Glad you kept it in one piece and even happier you got it fixed up and drove it home. Good work and although I doubt I have to say it, don't let that experience hold you back next time at the track.
Thanks, yepp, I still have my eyes wide open. As mentioned, lesson learned. That was the last race for this season, but in May next year, Im back, and really look forward to race again :D

I'd say the wheel locking up is what saved you from hitting the wall since it also slowed you down quite a bit. You got LUCKY! You should know better though, making 481hp/467ftlb on a stock rear end!
.. as mentioned, lesson learned. All the "pin design" differentials are as week as the pin itself. Even the M-4204-F318C has the same pin as the stock unit, I think ? Made for 390hp Cobras. If The 31 spline FMS unit is installed, the pin is there. Detroit locker next year Or any other strong units ?

.. as mentioned, lesson learned. All the "pin design" differentials are as week as the pin itself. Even the M-4204-F318C has the same pin as the stock unit, I think ? Made for 390hp Cobras. If The 31 spline FMS unit is installed, the pin is there. Detroit locker next year Or any other strong units ?

I'm looking into a 31 spine locker when i do mine. I wasn't busting your ass or anything..lol

Did I see an 11.40 there while you were sideways? :rlaugh:

Great save mang! :cheers:

I have only been that sideways once at the strip. I was in my 99 FRC Vette and was in the left lane. I slid like you did but it was when I power shifted into third gear. I was looking out my windshield at the drivers side of the black WS6 I was against. I am glad I had the car in Competition mode cause if it wasnt for the stability controll I woulda hit the wall. My brain froze and all I could think was "Well, here goes $50000" :nonono: Now I make sure my rear tires have the same air pressure :bang:
Opps, been there , done that, I see :eek::nice:
Thanks, I hopfully have learned something regarding driving thru the years of racing, and sliding around in the winterwhite roads.
We learn a little bit every day, dont we ?

Thanks. Have been thinking about a spool. But as long as I drive on public roads, and like to use my car, I supose a Locker etc would bee what I need. If I did mostly dragracing, a spool wold bee the goal.

I run a spool now, had a stock diff before. Took it off the lift, back up locked the wheel felt like it was the stocker still. Run it, don't believe everything you read.