Front Coil Springs

mustangdad

Nov 9, 2005
Missouri
Question, Is it difficult to replace the coil springs on the front of 96 Mustang,
I checked for recalls but Ford said there were none for this. The Spring just broke in half. No curbs, ramping, for real no kidding, etc... just snapped in half. :shrug:
My son wants us if possible to fix it and have he'll help but I've done leaf springs before and man what a job. Dealer wants 250.00 labor and parts are 90.00 each. So for less than 500.00 should I attempt it? :nice: :notnice:
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

A set of four lowering springs will run you just under $200 delivered. Try to find springs with a 1" drop or less and you won't need to get caster/camber plates for the shock towers.

It's a fairly easy job. Don't let the thought of working on springs freak you out, but at the same time, be cautious. The springs are nearly relaxed when you pull them out, but it still wouldn't hurt to loop a length of chain through the spring and around the strut to keep it from boinging out at you. It's a job you can easily do with hand tools, but you will definitely need both jackstands and a floor jack (and you can find kits with all of those plus a creeper for about $50 in the auto parts stores).

If you do the springs, it's worth it do replace the front sway bar with a better one if you want one, since you'll have to disconnect it anyway. :nice:

Skymarshal Thanks for the vote of confidence. Do I need to replace anything else while installing new springs? Sorry for the questions but I would classify myself and a beginner rookie for this type of work.

The only thing you might need to replace are the rubber noise isolators that the springs sit on. When I did the springs on my '01, the isolators were still like new, but on a '96 they may be cracked or worn, depending on where you live. You can check them before you begin the job.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/steedaspring1.htm is a good walk-through of the procedure. One important thing to notice is you need to mark the position of the caster/camber plates on top of the shock towers before you unbolt anything. That will ensure you get those settings back where they were when you reassemble everything.
You will still need to get a front-end alignment afterwards (only if you install lowering springs instead of a stock spring), since your toe will have been changed by the different ride height.

Ok, Now I'm being told by O'Reilly, Advanced,and NAPA that they can't order the replacement standard front coils springs. Ford says 3-5 days pre-pay, to order or you might go to MOOG and buy a kit and Ford Service will install them. Why is everything so difficult.

Ok, There seems to be no recalls on my stang at this time, and the FORD part Number for 1996 2dr coupe V6, manual trans, in case anyone else goes through this crap LAD F4ZC 5310-BA. So I called Ford scheduled it for tomorrow at 1:00 pm and was ask what else are we doing? I'm like wtf I'm supposed to know what needs done, install the coil springs. I wonder if that could have been the vibration when slowing down. Well I probably be at the dealer tomorrow incase I decide it needs alignment as well.

i was told it's fairly simple, as long as you have a sping compressor tool, because doing it with a jack is for people who have done this before and understand the risk that they are takin. How hard is it just to go to Autozone to rent one, most of the time for FREE...