Front End/Engine Bay Detailing Project

• Sponsors (?)

I Knew these questions were going to be asked about filling the holes and Hiding the wires. My question is what holes do you fill in and what hole don't you fill in? You need some of the holes for mounting things? As for hiding the wires how do you route them? are there length issues. Where do you mount the coil and starter solenoid?I don't know how to weld. I was thinking of buying a welder from Harbor Freight but I dont't know which one to get. If I got one I would practice on another piece of sheet metal.As for the plan---Remove the doors. derust detail paint the engine bay. I want to hide the wires but I have to figure out howand where to route them. Would like to fill in holes. Has anyone used POR 15 Epoxy? any issues with it?Putting in a 347 about 420 HP 430 torque

Here are a couple of pics before I tore the car apart

P1010002.jpg

P1010001.jpg

here are some shots of how i hid my wires and welded my bay.

ran the main harness inside the drivers fender, didnt lengthen or cut a single wire
01-6.jpg

07-7.jpg

04.jpg

03-1.jpg

welded the holes in the bay, if you can figure out what holes you need by thinking about what your going to use and where your going to mount it. i marked all the holes i knew i would need with a sharpie as i took the car apart. its really not that hard, foward of the strut towers you'll pretty much fill ever hole except for mounting holes for the coil, brake distribution block, and whatever kind of intake system your going to use.
06-2.jpg

bondo
07-5.jpg

paint
02-4.jpg

set up your wiring harness
View attachment 269461

its not that tough, when i started mine i knew nothing about welding, bodywork, or paint. i was helped by good friends with the welding and the paint but did everything else myself. if you look in my sig there is a full project thread of mine, take a look if you like and feel free to ask any questions you have. good luck and have fun im sure whatever you do will come out great. :nice: :nice: :nice:

if you had a tublar k member and arms i'd swear that was my bay! LOL. um if it were me i would fill all the holes and just redrill new ones for the mounting of stuff. winter of 09 i'm gonna redo all mine again. got a few little more special touches i wanna do :D peace

john:p

The thing that would scare me about doing a wire hide is that I don't know what connectors I need and don't need. The car used to have AC but don't know more, no washer fluid tank, different MC. But all this was done before I got the car, the engine bay is really pretty haggard so a wire hide would benefit, but I wouldn't really know where to start :shrug:

you know the best thing is and it's easy. go to your local shipping supply store.get those paper tags that have the metal wire you twist together and tie them to the wire and to the part so you know where they go. peace

none of the connectors go into eachother wrong you cant screw it up, and everything that you can i asked these guys about in my thread. it would look nasty you should totally do the wire hide

here are some shots of how i hid my wires and welded my bay.

ran the main harness inside the drivers fender, didnt lengthen or cut a single wire
01-6.jpg

07-7.jpg

04.jpg

03-1.jpg

welded the holes in the bay, if you can figure out what holes you need by thinking about what your going to use and where your going to mount it. i marked all the holes i knew i would need with a sharpie as i took the car apart. its really not that hard, foward of the strut towers you'll pretty much fill ever hole except for mounting holes for the coil, brake distribution block, and whatever kind of intake system your going to use.
06-2.jpg

bondo
07-5.jpg

paint
02-4.jpg

set up your wiring harness
View attachment 269341

its not that tough, when i started mine i knew nothing about welding, bodywork, or paint. i was helped by good friends with the welding and the paint but did everything else myself. if you look in my sig there is a full project thread of mine, take a look if you like and feel free to ask any questions you have. good luck and have fun im sure whatever you do will come out great. :nice: :nice: :nice:

Where did you mount the relay and how did you run the wires on the drivers side? They go through the firewall and then what? Did you have to undo the wires from the black shield tubing and then route the wires to get the wires to be more flexible?

On the passenger side where did you mount the vacuum switches that were on the strut tower?
I removed the engine harness and pulled it through the firewall from inside the passenger side. That harness is easier to deal with.

01-1.jpg

i mounted mine right up in this area.

02-1.jpg

if you are worried about changing solenoids all the time you can get a mini starter that has a solenoid on its body, then all you do is put every wire to one side of the original starter solenoid and use it as a distribution block or junction box, whatever you prefer to call it. but even if the solenoid is shot it should still work because there is continuity between all the wires from the get go.

i took the loom apart on mine, but only because i wanted to redo it and retape it. i went through the holes in the inner fenders behind the strut towers. you will have to mess with it to get them all to fit and put them in in a certain order, bigger connectors first, smaller last. but i did mine without cutting any connectors off. i didnt splice anything on the main harness.
02-1.jpg

04-1.jpg

04.jpg

i love silver verts...why the engine bay white? nice project!

ryan218 thats 5.slow's car i beleive? also 90silverstang if you plan to install you solenoid there or wherever you plan to mount it,make sure your innner fenders will fit!if you really wanna go trick move the harness to the inside of the cabin! i did that on my buddies 306 turbo notch. peace

Don't know what happened to the previous pics so here they ara again

CIMG3101.jpg

CIMG3103.jpg

CIMG3095.jpg

CIMG3096.jpg

CIMG3100.jpg

CIMG3098.jpg

CIMG3099.jpg

CIMG3097.jpg

Sorry haven't replied been busy and went to Las Vegas on Vaca.

Engine bay is white because thats the original color of the car. Thats why I'm detailing the engine bay now.

Here are some progress pics. Removed the K Member

CIMG3438.jpg

CIMG3430.jpg

Sanding the Bay
Would the wiring harness go through the inner fender hole or the strut tower hole?

CIMG3436.jpg

CIMG3437.jpg

CIMG3432.jpg

CIMG3431.jpg

How would you repair this. It is on the passenger side hood hinge mount.

CIMG3435.jpg

I'm looking into mig welder, Harbor freight has one on sale. Have not mig welded I want to learn.

What do you think about this one.
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Just using it for the sheet metal and holes.

Good luck on the project

I am just getting back to the same project. I started over a year ago, parked it, got married, moved, etc., etc. etc. Just got the shop at the new house set up and getting back to it. just took the K-mamber off tonight.

Good luck, and I'm sure it will turn out great!