Fox Front Springs Install Question

New ball joint pressed on and greased. Spindle reinstalled. Next is the tie rod lower.

90fbf462a7e9e8d33717d1fad5c7ca8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I hate to say this after you're done, but after doing the same thing I suggest replacing the control arm bushings also. I've been pretty disappointed with the results of my suspension replacement. Going to have to go back and replace all bushings. Still have a wandering b***h of a car.

I hate to say this after you're done, but after doing the same thing I suggest replacing the control arm bushings also. I've been pretty disappointed with the results of my suspension replacement. Going to have to go back and replace all bushings. Still have a wandering b***h of a car.

stpete, I checked the front control arm bushings when I had the spring out. Seems as though they have been replaced and are not original. I will keep that in mind however. Thank you for the heads up!

If you have stock rubber bushings you can tighten it up in the air. If poly you need to wait until the weight of the car is on the wheels. Poly bushings bind- rubber ones don't.

Other way around. The rubber bushings are "captured" and do all their work by deflection alone. If you tighten them with the arms hanging down, they'll be preloaded when the car is at ride height. The urethane ones are free to move, if lubricated properly.

Reactions: 1 user
Other way around. The rubber bushings are "captured" and do all their work by deflection alone. If you tighten them with the arms hanging down, they'll be preloaded when the car is at ride height. The urethane ones are free to move, if lubricated properly.

Kee recto mundo. Thanks for catching my early altzheimers moment.

Go to a hardware store and get a tin of silicone "plumbers grease" and use it liberally. It appears to be the same thing as Prothane or Energy Suspension bushing grease for a fraction of the cost. Also makes a gigantic sticky mess, so wear latex gloves when handling.

Bearings packed, rotors installed, new brake pads and calipers installed. Trying out the new wheels and tires! Love the new front end stance!

Now on to the rear.

f877dc73c29820d4fd908ab2847e1560.jpg
2f612616f2bacb85ee3d4d669e7bd805.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users