Fox Front Springs Install Question

The bottom pic is the one i'd use. I prefer to use the external type with locking pins. Honestly mine do not have the safety pins which is always a risk but I've used them dozens of times without issue. The only time I didn't feel safe with my spring compressors was when I tried to use them on my F-150 springs when I installed my adjustable Bilsteins. I ended up outsourcing that job to a shop.

When I did mine, the safety pins would get stuck on the Eibach springs. They were OK removing the stock springs, but not so good installing the new ones. The spring was too thick for them. I also had to shorten the bolts, they were way too long and interfered with the spring getting into the perches.

• Sponsors (?)

When I did mine, the safety pins would get stuck on the Eibach springs. They were OK removing the stock springs, but not so good installing the new ones. The spring was too thick for them. I also had to shorten the bolts, they were way too long and interfered with the spring getting into the perches.
I've heard a lot of people have that issue with the pins getting in the way. I also had to cut the bolts on the spring compressor tool for clearance. I've never had to use the full length of them anyway so there wasn't a second though about doing it.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are that concerned, take the springs to a machine shop or go to autozone and rent for free the spring compressor. compress them and wrap the middle coils with bailing wire. Install the springs with the bailing wire on, jack up the A Arm, reconnexct the spindle, Strut, tie rod, sway bar and cut and remove the wire.

If you are that concerned, take the springs to a machine shop or go to autozone and rent for free the spring compressor. compress them and wrap the middle coils with bailing wire. Install the springs with the bailing wire on, jack up the A Arm, reconnexct the spindle, Strut, tie rod, sway bar and cut and remove the wire.
I've done this method a few times... Works well lol

You guys all are scaring the hell out of me...

Here is how I replace front springs... I feel safe doing it this way and haven't had a single mishap in the hundred or so sets of springs I've replaced in over the years. With the proper tools and a floor jack you should be able to swap all 4 springs on a foxbody in under an hour if you are hustling.

Jack up the car and place on jack stands, use level ground and chock the rear wheels on at least one side if the entire car is not off the ground
Remove sway bar end links if equipped
Loosen and remove nuts on back side of lower control arm
Support the back side of the control arm with a jack
Remove both bolts from rear of a arm
Slowly lower a arm down until spring falls out
Install new spring
Jack up a arm with floor jack carefully guiding into position
Using an alignment dowel or pry bar align the control are and insert the bolts
Remove the jack
Install nuts on control arm bolts and tighten
Re install sway bar end links if equipped
Lower car from lift and live the low life!

Rear springs I feel like are very straight forward, let me know if you need the play by play for these as well?

Good luck and stay safe!

My method does not even require removing the wheels, no ball joints or tie rods to mess with and zero specialty tools.

You guys all are scaring the hell out of me...

Here is how I replace front springs... I feel safe doing it this way and haven't had a single mishap in the hundred or so sets of springs I've replaced in over the years. With the proper tools and a floor jack you should be able to swap all 4 springs on a foxbody in under an hour if you are hustling.

Jack up the car and place on jack stands, use level ground and chock the rear wheels on at least one side if the entire car is not off the ground
Remove sway bar end links if equipped
Loosen and remove nuts on back side of lower control arm
Support the back side of the control arm with a jack
Remove both bolts from rear of a arm
Slowly lower a arm down until spring falls out
Install new spring
Jack up a arm with floor jack carefully guiding into position
Using an alignment dowel or pry bar align the control are and insert the bolts
Remove the jack
Install nuts on control arm bolts and tighten
Re install sway bar end links if equipped
Lower car from lift and live the low life!

Rear springs I feel like are very straight forward, let me know if you need the play by play for these as well?

Good luck and stay safe!

My method does not even require removing the wheels, no ball joints or tie rods to mess with and zero specialty tools.

84Ttop, this seems to be a much different procedure than everyone else. I want to clarify. Are you saying to remove the bolts I have circled in red on the attachment?

lca6-v_1.492.jpg

I've done springs with hose clamps before. Mach 1 springs aren't exactly the easiest to put in. But a dozen hose clamps tightened down evenly sure made it easy :)

For the record, I pooped myself silly doing this. Now I'm old and wiser and will rent/buy the correct tool.

Speaking of which, I need to do this as my front is a tad high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
I've done springs with hose clamps before. Mach 1 springs aren't exactly the easiest to put in. But a dozen hose clamps tightened down evenly sure made it easy :)

For the record, I pooped myself silly doing this. Now I'm old and wiser and will rent/buy the correct tool.

Speaking of which, I need to do this as my front is a tad high

Just a dozen? I love that ' gotta get it' done ingenuity. Reminds me of my youth.

Yup, didn't use that many actually. Held quite well. After spring was installed and weight of car on it, I used tin snips to cut the hose clamps off.

But like I said, next time I'll just rent/buy the correct tool.

Success with disassembly. While I have it apart I'm going to replace the outer tie-rod ball joints, struts and sway bar end links. Placed the orders today. Post pics of reassembly soon.

6e062f052277f01b99645e88378faf26.jpg
1f9e323808f4df1dc6d57a2620ecfe27.jpg

Last edited:
The ball joint on the spindle needs replacement. I rented the ball joint pressing/removing tool and ordered replacement ball joints from Summit Racing.

db95c01c05968661a44d88b533bc6aca.jpg

7f1b911428ee0fa18e37d36d25606106.jpg

Last edited:
Did a dry run last night and discovered that none of the cylinders that came with the ball joint install toolkit fit the new ball joint adequately. There is a supplemental adapter set that I'm going to rent today.

download.jpg