Front suspension??

chaka

Founding Member
Mar 1, 2002
Boston, MA
I have swapped over to 96 Cobra brakes in the front. As of now I still have the stock 79 balljoints and tie rods. I know I need to get 96 Cobra ball-joints,

but what year tie-rods should I use?
I think wish recommendedusing the 85-93 GT tie rods, but can't remember.

• Sponsors (?)

I wasnt aware that you needed to use '96 ball joints when using '96 spindles?

The stock tie rod ends are same on Stangs but IIRC 87 or 88 Tbird turbo coupe had a larger HD tie rod end. But you have to get it from Ford. If you go to a auto parts store they will give you the same one as a Mustang.

Also is this the factory manual? or a Flaming River rack? I used stock tie rod ends on my manual rack. Only problem I had was the idiots who rebuilt my assembled the rack off center. (4 turns to left, 1.5 turns to right) so when turning left I could U turn in damm near ength of the car.But a U-turn to the right requirted 1/2 a parking lot.

The spindle fits but requires washers since the ball joint from the 79 is longer. The 96 spindle has a shorter base.

So say inner and outer tie-rod from an 85 GT would work? (I am going to grab HD Moogs)

Factory 1979 Manual rack. Has never been rebuilt so I know I won't have that problem.

Should. I had a 86LX and i got the rack from a red 79 turbo Mustang coupe, had it rebuilt and put it in. On one side the tie rod installed fine, teh other side would barely attach, thats how I found out I had an off center rack. Got it on enough that I was able to drive the car for awhile like that til I could get rack rebuilt again. The other big problem I had was the rack mount bushings were different size from early car to late model car. I would up using energy suspension polyurethane rack mount bushings, only because they were available.