Front tire width?

ArkansasMystic

Feb 16, 2007
I'm getting ready for some new tires/wheels for my 96 Cobra. I'll be getting 17x9 03 Cobras, running a 275 (possibly 285)/40/17 rear. I'm thinking I'll keep the stock 245/45/17 size up front. It is my daily driver, and I'm worried that the 275's up front will cause it to handle bad on the roads. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the wider tires up front? I'm looking at BFG G-Force A/S tires if it matters (possibly Nitto 555's depending on how mine hold up this winter, and if so I'll do the 285's). Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Ive got 275's up front and see no real disadvantage.
The steering feels a bit heavier than 245's or 255's but its no big deal.
I like the look of 4 big tires all the way around plus with the cost of tires
its nice to be able to rotate front to back.....:nice:

Tracking is my main concern. if it provides better grip then it would be great. hydroplaning is another issue i am concerned about. ie hydroplaned pretty bad with my 245nittos. i would like to be able to rotate, but i also want a wider rear. what do u guys think?

Get 275s all the way around. While a 245 is actually a fine fit on a 9" wheel, most people think it looks too small. A 245 also won't do a good job protecting the wheel from curb rash and you wouldn't be able to rotate.

It won't track that much worse. After all, you are adding less than 10% to the overall width.