FRPP 3:73's. HELP

MustangOwner

Banned
Dec 13, 2006
Well i'm def getting rid of my stock 2:73's in my car now. I have a local mechanic that helps out at our shop and he'll help my put my gears in on my car on our hoist for free. So i figure why not change them. He helped out on my 5 lug conversion for free. Thank god for him ha. But what all do i need to do the swap. I see 50resto has some kit that they are asking out of there ass, but it seems like over kill. I know you need 3:73's gears, rear end oil, the correct speedo tooth gear, and since my cars a 91 i need a tail shaft gear to because they dont make a correct speedo tooth gear to get the mph right. What else is there to it? And how much exactly is the gain. Right now all i got is burn through first and cherp 2nd. Will i be able to burn 2nd finally? ha THanks for any help

• Sponsors (?)

Dont forget to add friction modifier to the differential oil too. You will also need a shim kit to get the correct pre loads and backlash on the gears and bearings. The best thing to do would be to change the tail shaft gear to a 6 or 7 tooth, however the stock 8 tooth should work with a 23 tooth speedo gear, it wont be %100 accurate and the gears have a tendency to crap out after a while but it will work.

Well yeah and the friction modifyer. I've already done my M-2300-K brake kit swap. I already drain the rear end and put the new axles in and all that but i wasn't smart enough to do the gears at the same time. But yes im def doing the tail shaft gear cause i've been told it wont read correctly and thats a must for me. Thats why i was almost thinking 3:55's? Because i wouldn't have to do any of that ****.

Have a couple of crush sleeves on hand, cause if your like me you will inevitably overtighten at least one of them. Check you bearing condition when your in there. My 23 tooth speedo gear made my speedometer almost spot on.