FRPP 93 CobraR Brake Kit in an 86GT

79Mustang302

Founding Member
Dec 6, 2001
Colorado Springs, CO
I am buying the 93 CobraR brake kit from ford racing and have been told that it won't go into an 86 mustang. does anyone know why it would fit an 87 - 93 but not an 86? Does anyone know of other 4 wheel complete disc brake kits that would fit an 86 and convert to 5 lug? thanks in advance for any help.:flag:

scan0001.jpg

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Sponsors (?)

Are you asking about the approx $2,500 M2300K complete brake kit? I know Joe, stangplus2birds on here, has it on his 86. He did have to massage the shock tower quite a bit to make the booster fit since the pre 87 cars do not have as much room as the 87-93 cars. Plus you will have to use spacers or get new struts since the SN95 spindle that is included has a narrower shock mounting surface than your 86 spindles. And your emergency brake setup is not compatable with the parts supplied, so you would have to use your existing manually adjustable handle and rod with the supplied rear cables and hopefully can get it adjusted to work. I'm sure these are probably some of the reasons Ford does not "recommend " it for vehicles other than 87-93 cars.

Are you asking about the approx $2,500 M2300K complete brake kit? I know Joe, stangplus2birds on here, has it on his 86. He did have to massage the shock tower quite a bit to make the booster fit since the pre 87 cars do not have as much room as the 87-93 cars. Plus you will have to use spacers or get new struts since the SN95 spindle that is included has a narrower shock mounting surface than your 86 spindles. And your emergency brake setup is not compatable with the parts supplied, so you would have to use your existing manually adjustable handle and rod with the supplied rear cables and hopefully can get it adjusted to work. I'm sure these are probably some of the reasons Ford does not "recommend " it for vehicles other than 87-93 cars.

That's all correct!

Also, I recommend getting new 87-93 struts while you're at it. Plus, replace the rear axle main seals and the rubber brake hose from the body to the rear axle.

Plus, you loose just about all of your camber (side ways tire tilt). So, I'd recommend CC plates. And, as I *always* say with CC plates, use an STB! But, I went a number of years without CC plates. I now know that was a mistake (worn tires), but it's possible. Without CC plates, the amount of negative camber you can have will be effected by factory tolerances, wheel choice, and the *specific brand/size* tire you choose. You may even end up with a slightly positive camber setting.

My M2300K kit came with the real 94/95 Cobra booster. That's one big booster! I'm not sure if they are offering a "replacement" booster that's smaller now. I know that the Cobra booster was one of the parts Ford was short on a while back and that killed/suspended the M2300K kit.

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/joe/brakes/m2300kAbsInstall.html

Also, if you put a big dent in your strut tower, you better use an STB! :)

Here are some recent pictures of my car:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/misc/Mustang1986_with_Mach1_springs/

As I've said *many* times, the M2300K upgrade was the BEST upgrade, by far, I ever did on any car! :)

That's all correct!

Also, I recommend getting new 87-93 struts while you're at it. Plus, replace the rear axle main seals and the rubber brake hose from the body to the rear axle.

Plus, you loose just about all of your camber (side ways tire tilt). So, I'd recommend CC plates. And, as I *always* say with CC plates, use an STB! But, I went a number of years without CC plates. I now know that was a mistake (worn tires), but it's possible. Without CC plates, the amount of negative camber you can have will be effected by factory tolerances, wheel choice, and the *specific brand/size* tire you choose. You may even end up with a slightly positive camber setting.

My M2300K kit came with the real 94/95 Cobra booster. That's one big booster! I'm not sure if they are offering a "replacement" booster that's smaller now. I know that the Cobra booster was one of the parts Ford was short on a while back and that killed/suspended the M2300K kit.

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/joe/brakes/m2300kAbsInstall.html

Also, if you put a big dent in your strut tower, you better use an STB! :)

Here are some recent pictures of my car:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/misc/Mustang1986_with_Mach1_springs/

As I've said *many* times, the M2300K upgrade was the BEST upgrade, by far, I ever did on any car! :)

When I bought my Kit a couple years ago it came with a Remanufactured 93 Cobra Booster.