FRPP catback

tony laq

Apr 19, 2005
anyone got anything good or bad to say about this? i WAS looking to get some different mufflers on my otherwise stock exhaust but i can get a frpp catback for about 260 bucks ...which isnt to much more than just the mufflers.

from what i can tell it wont sound a heck of alot different than stock but im cool with that...call me a wuss but i like it..i just want a BIT louder and deeper. plus you really cant go wrong at $260 bucks.

i also think it will be a good start to the NEXT mod which would be an h-pipe.

any opinions- good or bad?

tony

• Sponsors (?)

tony laq said:
anyone got anything good or bad to say about this? i WAS looking to get some different mufflers on my otherwise stock exhaust but i can get a frpp catback for about 260 bucks ...which isnt to much more than just the mufflers.

from what i can tell it wont sound a heck of alot different than stock but im cool with that...call me a wuss but i like it..i just want a BIT louder and deeper. plus you really cant go wrong at $260 bucks.

i also think it will be a good start to the NEXT mod which would be an h-pipe.

any opinions- good or bad?

tony

I hear the FRPP catback sounds no different than the stock one...

well..if the info on partshopper is correct the frpp and magnaflow product is pretty much the same thing...just one is alot less expensive. 260 with the " summertime " coupon. hmmmmmmmm.

yeah i know...they sound different - but remember- i even like the stock sound :banana:

tony

well i have a mac and love it. if your looking for a semi-stock cat back. then you might want to check out the "new" flowmaster cat back.

i used to have one on my old mustang and it was LOUD. but the new "delta flow" cat back is pretty low key. gives you the power but not the sound. heck if you want i still have my old one out back... LOL

just curious why would you want it to sound stock, trying to make a sleeper?

sleeper? yes and no... i like the idea of a sleeper but to be honest two things are kinda playing into what will make my mind up.

1. like i said above i really DO like the sound of my car- BUT i do want some more low growl type sound and a little louder than now...but not way loud if that makes any kinda sense.

2. a buddy took me for a ride in a 92 or 94 gt ( cant remember the yr ) and he had flow 40's and an off road x pipe of some kind. i didnt like it at all. it was way to loud and the sound quality was way too " rough " for lack of a better word. and it sounded hollow and...i dont know. it just wasnt for me.

if i can get a FRPP catback for that price and its gonna give me some added HP and a sound thats a notch or two above stock- thats cool :banana:

tony

FRPP vs Stock

The FRPP and Stock Pipes are the same. I crawled under my 89 notch to find an exhaust leak the other day and when I looked on the FRPP site, the part number was the same as the stock one on mine. When I went to the Ford dealer the one in stock with a Ford Motorsport stamp on it was identical. If mine wasn't leaking it wouldn't make any sound at all. BTW the stock Ford Motorsport (Stock) exhaust is Stainless but remember there are generally 3 different types of stainless used in exhausts. Alumanized (crap), High Nickel 409 or 304(good) and 316 (great but usually used in really expensive stuff and machined flanges). Don't waste your money unless you want no sound improvement and stock performance :notnice:

hey guys thanks alot for the info..damn. :shrug: maybe ill just get a plen and tb :D

but really ..thank alot for the opinions/ info ...its a great site and it's helped me a ton already..i was dead set against gears and last week i got mine installed :D

tony

RiceRocketeer said:
The FRPP and Stock Pipes are the same. I crawled under my 89 notch to find an exhaust leak the other day and when I looked on the FRPP site, the part number was the same as the stock one on mine. When I went to the Ford dealer the one in stock with a Ford Motorsport stamp on it was identical. If mine wasn't leaking it wouldn't make any sound at all. BTW the stock Ford Motorsport (Stock) exhaust is Stainless but remember there are generally 3 different types of stainless used in exhausts. Alumanized (crap), High Nickel 409 or 304(good) and 316 (great but usually used in really expensive stuff and machined flanges). Don't waste your money unless you want no sound improvement and stock performance :notnice:

The mufflers might possibly be the same but, the pipes on the FRPP catback are 2.5" vs stock 2.25". The FRPP catback does sound different than stock but, not by much. Personally I don't think there is enough of a difference to justify the price. I have a Magnaflow catback and at idle it isn't much louder than stock but, when you step on the go pedal it has a nice deep mellow rumble.

As someone else suggested go on over to Mustang Exhaust and listen to the sounds clips there. You have to be registered and logged in to see the sound clip forums by the way.

http://64.177.72.121/forums/index.php

You can get the Magnaflow Catback here at www.partshopper.com. Don't let the online price fool you Magnaflow controls what pricing they are allowed to show online. Call them up and they will price match.

http://www.partshopper.com/shop/Magnaflow-86-04-Mustang-V8-Exhaust-m7.html

magnaflow.jpg

The FRPP system is not the same as the stock system.

The tubing is larger, as previously stated (though the inlets and outlets to the mufflers are the same size) and the mufflers are different than the stockers...they flow better. This from FRPP itself; I called them to talk about it before I bought the catback for my '02.

As for the sound, it is noticably different than the stock catback; it's both louder in volume and deeper in tone, with a nice rumble as well. I've been very happy with mine. Quality is "OEM" though, for better or worse. :D The exhaust tips are the same as the stock system.

It's not Flowmaster-loud though, so if you're looking for that level of volume, best to go with what's been previously mentioned. But if you're looking for a little more V8 growl without volume that'll scare small children and attract the wrong sort of attention, it's a nice system. I hear it sounds even better with an off-road H-pipe, but I like mine with the stock midpipe just fine. :nice: