FRPP H/O S/C Install Tips?

Thanks a million Tom! I've been stalling a bit due to lack of space in my garage, time, etc but the wait has been worthwhile - I've done extra research and picked up some extra parts (air/oil separator, new AIT). I've installed my Cobalt gauges (W/B AFR, fuel press, and boost) and hardwired my radar detector. I think I'll take your suggestion and do my fuel system today and the rest next weekend. Dyno tune is booked for June 9.

Did you relocate your AIT?

Thanks again!

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks a million Tom! I've been stalling a bit due to lack of space in my garage, time, etc but the wait has been worthwhile - I've done extra research and picked up some extra parts (air/oil separator, new AIT). I've installed my Cobalt gauges (W/B AFR, fuel press, and boost) and hardwired my radar detector. I think I'll take your suggestion and do my fuel system today and the rest next weekend. Dyno tune is booked for June 9.

Did you relocate your AIT?

Thanks again!

no, i did not relocate it, i might go that route when i get the custom tune.

great thread to read about the install with lots of pics
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...2005-mustang-intercooled-whipple-install.html

here are some of my pics
IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

Nice pics by the way! Got a phone call this morning from my tuner - he had a cancellation and could have got me in tomorrow. Wouldn't you know I'm not ready :(. Still looking at the 9th of June. Do you know what the dyno results were for the guy in the UK that wrote that install thread?

Got started with the install today (after a late start got to step 81). So far so good - 88GTtom's remarks were very helpful. No real issues except needing to shorten the factory bolts for installing the thermostat neck. As suggested, I'm mounting the neck upside down. Hope to finish up tomorrow.

Tom: Where'd you get your Thump rrr tensioner? Do you think I should put one on?

Go on over to modularfords.com to the 2005 mustang forum and search for the thread or just contact thumprr there. I installed one immediately after the Whipple. Too many people have been having belt issues with twin screw blowers. This tensioner is the absolute best you can buy. It's about $350 and it ships free if you send your old tensioner to him. They need the spring out of the old ones to install in the billet thumprr tensioners.

Go on over to modularfords.com to the 2005 mustang forum and search for the thread or just contact thumprr there. I installed one immediately after the Whipple. Too many people have been having belt issues with twin screw blowers. This tensioner is the absolute best you can buy. It's about $350 and it ships free if you send your old tensioner to him. They need the spring out of the old ones to install in the billet thumprr tensioners.

thats correct, i contacted thump_rrr at the s197forums.com website. send him a pm, he will send you a receipt at paypal.com(get an account) pay and it ships out to you. havent had any belt of tensioner problems, belt looks new and never had any belt slip issues.

Just the fuel pump left now. Everything has gone pretty well - I'm not very quick but I'm a measure twice cut once sort of person. My kit came with a supplemental set of instructions for the idler/tensioner install. By the looks of the various different combinations in the instructions, it looks like Whipple has been making changes to pulley, idler and tensioner sizes, and belt lengths as they have gone along. Their Gen II change has probably complicated things as well. I have the stock passenger idler and tensioner and a 100mm driver side idler. I am able to get the sliding idler almost to the bottom of it's slot and the tensioner is at near max. I tried to install the stock driver side idler on the tensioner arm (some combinations called for that) but the sliding idler then was too high in the slot and the belt would have rubbed on itself. I think my current setup should work - tomorrow will tell. If not I'll be calling thump_rrr.

One additional change I made was repositioning my IAT as per Hoboattacker. In my case, I opted for the number 6 intake runner to keep it close to the MAF harness. Drilling the hole (9/16ths) and tapping the threads (3/8ths NPT) was a bit nerve wracking - you wouldn't want to mess up the brand new aluminum intake. I built a jig for my drill press that anchored the intake to the drill press table. After that, things went smoothly. I was also really careful to thoroughy clean the intake with compressed air and soap and lots of water to get rid of all the aluminum shavings.

Will try to post some pics tomorrow.

It's Done!!! .................... and Running

Finished up about mid afternoon. Fuel pump install was a bit hairy - the access door is really small and the crossover tube (inside the tank) tends to hang up on the pump as you insert it into the tank.

Filled and checked all fluids. Purged the fuel system and refilled the IC a couple times (the IC pump comes on with the key). Flashed the computer. Turned the key and it fired right up!!! :D

Waited for it to come up to temp and bled the cooling system. Rechecked and refilled the rad & IC a couple times.

First test drive was awesome - nothing like the blower whine under throttle! After a short test I checked everything over - one small coolant leak at the top rad hose (I had pushed the hose onto the thermostat housing neck too far and the hose and clamp were not seating properly). Not much leakage and very simple fix. Several test drives with family and neighbors - this thing is a completely different car - waaayyyyyy more fun! Trying not to push it too much before I get the dyno tune.

Working on some pictures. I would highly recommend this as a project - and definately do it yourself!

Congratulations and nice pics! How long total for the install? Cant wait to see the dyno #'s.

I figure 25 to 30 hours with a bunch of time spent building a jig to hold the manifold on my drill press for drilling a hole for the IAT sensor. My brother-in-law helped through most of it. Having done it once I think next time would be quicker but half the fun is enjoying the process so we were in no big hurry. We had great weather, a case or two of cold ones, and few if any frustrating moments. For a car guy - I can't think of a better way to spend a long weekend. :)