FRPP Supercharger?

But what's the best price for the 500 horse SC? Or even the 400 then the 500 if that would be cheaper... I'm assuming this is also flywheel hp not rwhp. Bouncing across these boards it seems the best way to do some FI is going with the Whipple. I just want to get an idea of what is a good price and what I can expect labor to be. I'm guessing based on prices I'm seeing now, it'd run me about $7500 for the 500 horse polished.

It is important to understand that the 400HP Whipple kit and HO 500HP kit are significantly different in terms of the installation.

The install time is about 40% longer for the HO kit. Therefore figure about 40% more in labor cost.

Ford Racing tech support stated about 10-12 hour mechanic install for the 400HP kit and 16-18 hour mechanic install for the 500 HP kit.

This is due to a couple major factors. The HO kit comes with the GT500 Dual fuel pump assembly that has an extra fuel pump module driver that requries the removal of the backseat and passenger side lower trim, removal of stock fuel pump, fuel pump harness modification, and running of an additional fuel pump harness from the trunk, along the passenger side interior trim, through the firewall, removal of the plastic front wheel well and passenger front wheel.

The next HO kit issue is the installation of the heat exchanger, mounting and wiring of bosch/ford lightning water pump, and installtion and plumbing for all pieces going from the reservioir to S/C to heat exchanger, to electric water pump.

The 400 HP kit does not require the added fuel pump or heat exchanger installation.

Next major consideration: The 400 HP kit (when installed by a Ford dealer only) will come with a warranty for the drivetrain. The installing dealer will call Ford Racing to register the part and installation into the ford database for reference and tracking. This only applies to the drivetrain (engine, trans, rear axle, driveshaft) warranty, not interior, or suspension, etc. The standard Ford warranty would still apply to non-drivetrain items.

There is very little markup in the superchargers for Whipple. If you buy from a Whipple dealer, then they have price controls. A whipple dealer is not allowed to sell to you below a certain price, it is part of their contracts.

A Ford Racing dealer that sells the whipple kits through the catalog dont have those price controls but also dont want to discount as said previously, there is minimal markup on superchargers.

Either way, the 3-4% credit card transaction fees alone mean almost $200 being spent on payment. Plus there is the cost of shipping which is about another $100-150 (150 lbs for HO kit split up into two boxes). The markup is only about 15% so you can do the math and see why a person has to make a living.

You can save money by buying out of state and not paying sales tax. But then you may have to have it shipped with above metioned costs.

The overall installation costs will vary depending on the labor rate of the shop you go to. A Ford dealer's/independent repair facility's retail labor rates are usually $80-100 per hour.

A speedshop like Brenspeed may offer package installed prices sometimes when the product is purchased from them. That may be ideal depending on the cost of sales tax.

Bottom line is be prepared to spend up to $7500-8,000 for polished HO kit fully installed.

Dyno-tune for Whipple/FRPP kit is totally un-necessary. I would recommend at the most, a simple 3-4 dyno runs to verify A/F and power readings to check on installtion. If ford is willing to warranty your whole drivetrain with the 400HP kit using the Whipple/Ford Engineered Tune then it is pretty safe and dependable.

There are only a handful of known "bad" tunes and to my knowledge those were a result of the cold air kit pro-cal tool being sent rather than the supercharger pro-cal tool (obviously a huge difference). The other issue that we have heard of involved the installer not installing/wiring the duel fuel pump drivers properly on an HO kit and the vehicle ran lean on the dyno. Hence I recommended that you run a few dyno runs or install a wideband a/f gauge into your car and look for about 11:1-11.5:1 at WOT. Sensor should be installed before the catalytic converter.

Hope this helps shed some light and save you some time shopping.

• Sponsors (?)

Hope this helps shed some light and save you some time shopping.

Helps a bunch. Thanks! :nice:

I'm obviously new here (first post), but planning on purchasing an '08 GT automatic soon. I was on the FRPP site and noticed they only offer the 400 hp kit for the automatics, no 500 hp HO. Is this just a warranty issue? After the warranty is up could the 400 kit be upgraded to the HO level and use the FRPP tune?

-Matt

Um yeah. It does. Thanks for the input and I guess I was on the right track trying to figure costs.

Your final cost could be less but you can see the variables that affect it. Budget for the worst and hope for the best.

Helps a bunch. Thanks!

I'm obviously new here (first post), but planning on purchasing an '08 GT automatic soon. I was on the FRPP site and noticed they only offer the 400 hp kit for the automatics, no 500 hp HO. Is this just a warranty issue? After the warranty is up could the 400 kit be upgraded to the HO level and use the FRPP tune?

-Matt

There are ford racing/whipple calibrations made for the 500 HP HO kit for automatic tranny cars but Ford did not feel comfortable about the durability. The 500HP HO kit is not offered with a special warranty regardless if it is an auto or manual. Only the 400HP kit is offered with that special warranty and it applies to either transmission.

But you can get the HO kit for an auto. You will need to order the kit from either a Ford Racing distributor or whipple dealer. Then, when you get the kit, you will not be able to use the ford "pro-cal" tool voucher to get a flash tool from Ford. Instead, you will have to call whipple directly and send them your PCM to be flashed with the HO auto tranny calibration. This is not that big of deal but you dont have the convenience of the flash tool sent from Ford. The "engine" calibrations are the same from Ford or Whipple it is just that Ford will not distribute the tunes for automatic equipped cars. I am sure that the automatic will have lower durability using the HO kit than the manual transmission, hence the reluctance of ford to even release that version even though there is no warranty either way. Even Ford Racing does not want to sell parts that blow stuff up easily, even if it doesnt affect the warranty or Ford's bottomline. To me that says alot about Ford Racing's approach to producing/offering proven and reliable products for the S197.

Bvega is again telling it like it is.

Leaking twin screw snouts are quite common because they vent the gear drives right through the pulley bolt. If a twin screw car is parked facing down a steep hill it's quite common for the snout to leak right through the hollow vent bolt.

so can someone please find the price of the whipple 400 hp Kit from a reputable shop?

The only place I can find a price is at Whipple's site and it is still around $5000. I would do the install myself, but was hoping for a SC more in the $4000 range.