FTI Combo VS Blower

first off, i think you need to get a better job. or consider getting 2 jobs. your gonna need atleast double what you have to do an FTI combo. second off, you gotta have all the supporting mods for the combo to work properly.

take your time and do it right, learn from other peoples mistakes. i personally agree with most peoples advice in doing the n/a fti combo. that way you can slap on a nitrous kit and spank just about anyone in town.

and lasty, you gotta consider are you mechanically inclined enough to put together this combo or are you gonna have to pay someone to do it. that costs alot of money.

my .02 cents. may seem a little pessimistic but speaking the truth.

• Sponsors (?)

iluvcars said:
first off, i think you need to get a better job.

The problem with getting a better job that pays better is harder because if you go to school like I do it takes away from studying and all that...and most better paying jobs are on a full time and more stressful basis around where I live so you can't apply to your studies as effectively..... I make $5.15 an hour also but it is so easy working at a grocery store :D

Anyways...Dave (92GreenGT)...I am doing the exact thing you are doing and I have right at 1500 or so saved right now....I am going to do go the FTI route and have the engine rebuilt and do everything right the first time and if I keep saving like I am I'll have it by early early summer....I can't wait :nice:

Just hang in there...which is what I plan on doing.....

and yes I sold the 2000....couldn't afford it no longer (go figure) but am happy with the good ole 5.0..... :flag:

David

I like the N/A route myself. But I also like nitrous. Ed did the motor in my Factory Stock car. E7 heads, unported, Cobra intake, unported and a factory cam. Now Ed did his usual goodies to the combo and it has been 12.18@111. Would this motor make a good street motor? Probably not. But I'm sure with Ed you could get a good setup for a street/strip car.
But as was mentioned several times before, you need more then just a good motor to go fast. I've seen many people build up a killer motor and not do anything to the suspension and end up not running to their full potential. I used a stock 140k mile motor with very minimal mods (no headers and still had facotry cats) and a 150 shot of nitrous from a Big Shot plate (wet kit), ran a 12.09@112 plus I still got 23mpg. But I put alot of money into the suspension and chassis. Ask Perky, he seen me spank a blower car twice. But it cost me a tranny. LOL
Good luck with your project and let us know how it goes.

It's down to personal preference.

By just buying a blower, you will keep the stock drivability and the blower will add the power. With larger heads, cam, and intake, you will loose a little bottom end and drivability/gas milege will suffer. One thing about a blower, it takes power to make power so you will be loading your engine alot more to make the same power. Building a N/A engine and a F/I engine is alot different. The N/A engine has to pull it's own air in, so bigger isn't always better when building power. The F/I engine since the air is being pushed in you can go with a really big intake and heads and go with low compression and really make power, but the engine will be dependant on the blower.

I think you'll make more power with the H/C/I. Either way it will cost you all together about three grand when all is said and done. I've raced stock 5.0's with S/C's on them and wasn't very impressed. The N/A will probally be faster from the start but with the blower, you will have alot of room to grow and the small mods will really show up.

Personally I like the N/A thing. I like instant throttle response anywhere on the tach. I love the sound of a blower, and boost is fun. If I were to do a blower, it would be in the form of a turbo. I am looking into a FTI combo myself.

Please don't turn this into "one of those threads" but...
have you considered a TMOSS/Thumper combo. Definatly the cheapest way to build power, weather the $$:HP ratio is best is up to debate but you could go far and with your current status in school and working a low wage job it might be the best way.

Thumper heads w/double valve spings: $695 w/o springs $595
Tmoss ported lower intake: $130
65mm TB+EGR (accufab) $240
73mm MAF: $130
Cam $130-200
Total between $1400 and $1200 which will give you some room for odds and ends.