Fuel, and boost boundries

Dr_EluSivE

Founding Member
Apr 24, 2002
Central Illinois
Ok, so my car runs rather well, and i would like to keep it that way. Heeding the warnings by woodster i havent driven it a whole lot with no exaust (cant hear pinging) But i am curious how much i can do with Reg, Plus, and Prem fuel. Obvously it varies car to car, but some general advice is what i am looking for. Currently the boost is set to 15# and it runs good, but the reg gas in the tank is 6 mo old so i cant really judge by that. Seeing that i have a FM volvo, a T3, RR, and stock 8ua and fuel system, how much boost should i safely limit myself to. I am not shooting for any HP goals at this point, i just want it to be reliable. I have no Knock sensor so i cant rely on the computer to help if things get to wild. I plan to hook up the Prem switch (i am gonna use a single pole toggle) but i want to run Reg or plus most of the time. Is 15 too much? to little? or just right? How much should i try when running premium with Premium mode on?

Dr.

• Sponsors (?)

Asha'man said:
Did you rig up the BCS? Premium switch ain't gonna do much without that, I think. I would just keep the boost down until you can get a good tune.

Brian
the prem switch will still switch to the premium timing tables in the ECU, that will give you slight performance gain even at stock boost levels. I am running a gillis for boost control.

Dr.

When I had a setup very similar to yours, I could run up to 17psi on 90 octane. 18psi on 91 octane. This is during the summer at around 90 degrees or so. I could of course run 20-21 in the winter. Burn out that old gas before you turn up the boost. Who knows what the octane is now. If you run regular gas in premium mode, keep it down around 15psi. Regular fuel in reg. mode could be more like 17psi.

Keep in mind this is just how "my" car acted though.

Stinger said:
When I had a setup very similar to yours, I could run up to 17psi on 90 octane. 18psi on 91 octane. This is during the summer at around 90 degrees or so. I could of course run 20-21 in the winter. Burn out that old gas before you turn up the boost. Who knows what the octane is now. If you run regular gas in premium mode, keep it down around 15psi. Regular fuel in reg. mode could be more like 17psi.

Keep in mind this is just how "my" car acted though.
Oh yeah, all cars are different, I was just curious as to what "normal" should be, basically to see if my car has any issues i havent discovered yet. I will only use prem mode with prem gas. but Its nice around here cause some of the stations have 89, 91, and 93 so i can run higher octane if needed. Also the local place sells Reg (89), and Plus (91) for the same price. sounds like 15psi is a good starting point then, and maybe work up to 17 as i go.

Dr.

Dan P. said:
140 when did ya get a IC for the SVO?

It has had a FMIC for about 2 years. I was just using a TC IC. I put the volvo in a few weeks ago. Just doesn't ping now under a hard beating whereas the TC IC would allow some pinging in hard pulls.

Doc, I'd recommend you buy some header wrap off ebay for cheap and wrap the cold side pipe going into the TB. On my LX car the intake is rotated so of course, it doesn't pick up the header/turbo heat. I can't rotate the inline intake (and wouldn't want to) on the 'vo - and w/o the header wrap, the TB & upper were getting pretty toasty sitting at stops, even w/ the fan on. W/ the header wrap - nice and cool TB, feels just like the cold side of the volvo IC. Doesn't matter how long it sits there w/ the hood down.

140cilx said:
It has had a FMIC for about 2 years. I was just using a TC IC. I put the volvo in a few weeks ago. Just doesn't ping now under a hard beating whereas the TC IC would allow some pinging in hard pulls.

Doc, I'd recommend you buy some header wrap off ebay for cheap and wrap the cold side pipe going into the TB. On my LX car the intake is rotated so of course, it doesn't pick up the header/turbo heat. I can't rotate the inline intake (and wouldn't want to) on the 'vo - and w/o the header wrap, the TB & upper were getting pretty toasty sitting at stops, even w/ the fan on. W/ the header wrap - nice and cool TB, feels just like the cold side of the volvo IC. Doesn't matter how long it sits there w/ the hood down.
Do you have a pic so i can see what you are talking about? I am not against wrapping it, but i spent a bunch of time painting it so i would only do it if its worth it. Any reason why i shouldnt wrap the "hot" pipe too? Does it tend to lose heat? or gain it as it travels from the turbo to the IC. Also would i be better wrapping my Downpipe instead of the IC tubing? Looking at it i wonder if it would be worth it to try and make a shield and bolt it to the studded manifold bolts.. cover the whole turbo so the heat would go down...

Dr.

lemme try here

Attachments

• SVO Volvo 0605b.JPG
    SVO Volvo 0605b.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 105
  • SVO Volvo 2 0605b.JPG
    SVO Volvo 2 0605b.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 106
Ok, you wrapped the whole thing.. Ill have to look into picking some wrap up. I also noticed today that the cold tube has settled on the Upper radiator hose, Im not sure i want heat transfering though there either.... Ill look into getting some of that.

Dr.

I'm probably going to wrap mine as well. I saw a pic of Gator's car and he's got black header wrap on all his IC pipes, and it looks pretty nice. Plus it means I won't have to worry about what the actual pipes and welds look like. ;)

Brian

i agree with 140(hahaha) on the intake rotate(even if the svo had one that could be rotated).

If I had an svo I would take off alot of parts put them away in storage wrapted up in bubble rap.

I wrote down a list of all teh parts I would be taking off and switching out(so I can keep the origional parts in great shape).

Its a hell of a long fugen list.

Asha'man said:
I'm probably going to wrap mine as well. I saw a pic of Gator's car and he's got black header wrap on all his IC pipes, and it looks pretty nice. Plus it means I won't have to worry about what the actual pipes and welds look like. ;)

Brian

Whose Gator? :D

He got banned from here in the days of the Posse....I think I saw the pic I referred to on FEP (four-eyed pride).

Yes, I'm swapping soon.....not sure how soon, but the motor is damn near done, so now I'm just waiting on garage space. :)

Brian