fuel filler pipe leak

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Hello,

I have not been over here before (I'm too poor). :)

i have a buddy with a 98GT and need some advice. he filled the tank up and came out to find gas drippin onto the ground. He said it is coming from the grommet at the bottom end of the filler tube, where it ingresses into the tank. does this sound right? he said the grommet is torn.

i tried searching and it does not appear that anyone has had this occur specifically (if so, please redirect me to the appropriate threads and i apologize).

question: does one have to drop or lower the tank to get the filler pipe out (in order to change this grommet)? i had the impression that one could somehow get clearance w/o messing with the tank itself.

i have not looked under an SN before, so i dont even have a recollection to go off from.

what else should he get for doing this? i told him he would likely have to go to the dealer for the grommet. i also mentioned to get any other rubber bits that might be on the filler pipe (not sure if there might be another grommet at the top of the filler, etc). other stuff to get/do? (car has 50K on it).

do you use vaseline or something similar on the grommets to ease installation (to help prevent tearing the grommet)? i was plannin on doing so, but wanted to make sure that is cool.

i welcome and appreciate any thoughts you might have. many TIA! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I had this problem a few months ago and had it replaced. It took my guy seriously 15 minutes to replace the gasket so I'm guessing you don't have to drop the tank to replace it. I didn't actually watch as he did the work so I'm not 100% sure. That should be it. I think it's a $20 or so part from Ford.

Scott, thank you for the reply. :nice:

anyone else want to chime in? knowing a little more will tell me whether i can tell him to fix it himself (vs me having to go do it). :)

many thanks!

Nice to see you "over here" :)

Well I don't have much to say because I wasn't to "mechanically inclined" when I had my 2000 GT and never payed attention to the gas tank area for sure...but I used vaseline on my filler neck grommet on my 93...and have no problems...it made it SO much easier to install...as well as the other grommets...

I would think you would have to drop the tank a bit to get nice access to the grommet so you can remove/install it easier (of course)...after a while those grommets tear (like mine)...and yeah mine was like $20 from 50resto.com...

Hello bud,

thanks for the reply. This is the first time i have ventured over here - you really get around. LOL.

looks like i might have to just go over there help him do it (i was supposed to go if he could not figure out how to dump his new CAI in anyhow). glad to know the ol' vaseline should work fine.

thanks again for the info. :nice:

I had the same thing happen in my 96 GT. I had noticed some fuel come out around the same place that overflow valve is, but a lot more gas came out than normal. Then, driving the 3 miles back to my house, I had used a quarter tank of gas! Apparently I was blowing out gas when I accelerated. Anyway, my mechanic fixed it. He had to drop the tank for mine and buy that gasket from ford. I think it was around $120 altogether.

hey guys, no need to reply or read this. this is just info for future searchers.

we dropped the tank - it was quicker and easier than trying to get the filler in and out with the tank in its home.

it was a pretty quick job. be sure to lube the grommet with your favorite lube to keep it from tearing upon reassembly.

good luck.