Fuel level gauge...

well i put gas two (2) 5 gal gas cans into my gas tank and my gauge reads empty...

i am getting 22.2 ohms from the sender. what is full and what is empty (ohms)?

first it reads full, now it reads empty. this is annoying....:mad:

• Sponsors (?)

From my earlier post - empty 22 Ohms, full, 145 Ohms.

Troubleshooting the gauge and sender circuit:
Since the sender uses a variable resistor, sum the resistor values of 22 Ohms (empty value) & 145 Ohms (full value). That gets you 167, which you divide by 2: that gets you 83.5. So in theory, 83.5 ohms is 1/2 full. A trip to Radio Shack for the closest combination of resistors to make 83.5 ohms gets you one 68 Ohm (Catalog #: 271-1106) + one 15 Ohm (Catalog #: 271-1102) for a total of 83 Ohms at the cost of $2 plus tax. Wire the resistors in series to make a resistor pack and cover it with heat shrink tubing or electrical tape. The 83 Ohms is close enough to the 83.5 Ohm figure that it shouldn't matter. Disconnect the electrical connector shown in your for the tank sender unit. Connect one end of the resistor pack to the yellow/white wire on the body side fuel sender electrical connector and the other end of the resistor pack to ground. Make sure nothing is touching that isn't supposed to and turn the ignition switch to Run. If I am correct, the fuel gauge will read 1/2 full, or very close to it. If it does not, then the odds are that the gauge or anti-slosh unit are bad.

How and why the test works…
Most of the fuel gauge failures give a stuck on full or stuck on empty as a problem symptom. Using a resistor combination that mimics 1/2 tank allows you to decide if the gauge and anti-slosh module are the problem source.

If the gauge reads about 1/2 tank with the resistor combination, that points to the sender as being the culprit.

If the gauge reads full or empty with the resistor pack in place of the sender, then the gauge or anti-slosh module is at fault.

i dropped the tank...again :mad: it seems the floater got hung up on a baffle inside of the tank, so i spun it around and all is good.

hopefully this is the last time i have to drop the tank for a loooong time

Quick question, I remember reading somewhere that the gas tank holds just a little over 13 gallons.. I put 8 gallons in it the other day and it read over the full mark. The gauge moved down normal and all as it was used, but shouldn't it have only got to about 3/4 or so?