Fuel Fuel line routing question..

The police hate it when I play with fire :nonono:
There is a good chance I am driving to NPD in Ocala and looking at their gas tanks. I already called them and they said no problem....
I think I can bend the existing fuel line a bit and if I get the exhaust up to where this flange in my original tank is stopping it from going, it might work..

Only gauge not working is my fuel gauge, so I can diagnose this problem also, when the tank is out... If it is my sender I can pick up one of those while I am there... .. If I chicken out on torching my stock tank......
The madness continues..

• Sponsors (?)

I wish I had a stock 85 close by I could crawl under...
Hang on.... I know a guy! ;)

@limp - I got some answers for ya....

Problem seems to be fuel lines only, From what I can see they need to be routed differently to work,, The loop in the exhaust that goes over the rear axle hits them.....
Viewing from the back of the car (and keeping in mind, at the time, I was only able to see forward of the rearend about a foot or so due to my point of view), the fuel lines run down the passenger side of the driveshaft tunnel, along the edge where the tunnel meets the floorboard (see 1st pic). Once the driveshaft tunnel ends and it transitions into the side-to-side rearend tunnel, the fuel lines continue rearward, hugging the upward curvature of the rearend tunnel, to the peak of that tunnel. At that point they turn 90° towards the passenger side for about 6". They then turn rearward again for less than a foot before they end and the rubber lines begin (see 2nd pic).
FuelLinesRunningDownDSTunnel-Resized.jpg

90°TurnAtTopOfDSTunnel&RubberLines-resized.jpg

Looking more for a pic showing if the 85 fuel line routing goes into the tunnel, like the newer brake lines do, instead of down he frame rail
Yes, the fuel lines run down the driveshaft tunnel, at least under the rear seat area. They do not at any point (that I could see) run down the passenger side frame rail. I actually think coming out of the engine compartment that they run down the driver's side frame rail until somewhere around the middle of the length of the car. At that point they turn 90° inward, going to the driveshaft tunnel, then up and over the driveshaft while hugging the tunnel, to the passenger side floorboard of the tunnel. At that point they turn rearward and progress as detailed in the previous paragraph. Again, the route from the engine compartment to the passenger side of the driveshaft tunnel is just a semi-educated guess.... I haven't actually viewed that part yet. :shrug:

Classic lines builds a 85 GT only line, but they have not been able to answer my questions
The picture of it they show does not look much different than what mine looks like and the front of the line in the engine compartment looks completely different..
I still think that particular 85-only line is what you need. But I can't say for certain.... just seems like it would be the needed answer.

Fk it... I might just order this on monday.. What the heck, I don't quite have 911 money or 67 Corvette money in this car ( probably close ) but another $100 or so is not going to wipe out the " spending my childrens inheritance fund"
I really want to get this car back on the ground and get it driving.........
https://classictube.com/product/ford-mustang-fuel-supply-line-1985-2/?q=
Did you order it?

And don't look at it as spending their inheritance.... you're just re-allocating it, from a liquid state to a tangible asset. :D

Tried to start up my scoot... Crank no Start... spark to plugs, I smell fuel, plugs are dry... And its my favorite thing, fuel injection.... LOL....
Bought it brand new in 06 off the showroom floor and this is the first time the black b!tch has let me down....
Does hognet.com have a Cranks OK, but No Start Checklist?

Some pics of my fuel tank.. The flange on the front right side is bent down and is in the way of the exhaust..
Looked at some pics and the fuel tanks I looked at either had a nice rounded seam with NO extra or if it had a flange it was bent up??
Yea, my flange is definitely bent up.
GasTankFlange-resized.jpg

I think the carbureted ‘85’s got this tank as well and they had dual tail pipes. Would need someone to confirms that though.
Got which tank?

I have looked for exhaust and fuel line diagrams for 85's, and cannot find any on line....
ExhaustSystem-r.jpg

The fuel system exploded view actually shows the same layout for 1983-1986 V-8's (w/o CFI). So I question whether that fuel system diagram is 100% correct. (Note: I have found other errors in this particular exploded view manual before.)

After further research, it looks like the fuel line routing drawing I have may be correct. I came across the same pic in another source. So here's what I found...
FuelLine Routing2.jpg

Attachments

• 90°TurnAtTopOfDSTunnel&RubberLines.jpg
    90°TurnAtTopOfDSTunnel&RubberLines.jpg
    742.6 KB · Views: 30
  • GasTankFlange-resized.jpg
    GasTankFlange-resized.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 27
  • ExhaustSystem-r.jpg
    ExhaustSystem-r.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
85 stang guy... Thanks so much for the effort you put in doing this....

Based on what I can see on the exhaust, I need to bend my tank or get another... The right exhaust pipe will not fit otherwise..

Completely different fuel line route, but not unlike the same change in the 87 up brake lines...

Your exhaust diagram is not what I expected, Figured a single muffler and the split back to two tailpipes after the muffler,,,, TY for adding that...

No, I did not order a new fuel line.. Got caught up in the fuel tank flange situation .....
If I could be guaranteed the fuel line like yours I will probably order one...
Again Thank you....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does hognet.com have a Cranks OK, but No Start Checklist?

I don't know.. I am a member of V-Twin.com and I cannot get on.. Forgot my password and the password forget does not come up on my email to change it..
Contacted v-twin to get it straightened out.. I will try hognet to see if I can find a checklist or at least the next direction to go...
Don't even want to look at it right now...
Went through my FSM Softail 06 service manual and it said " to diagnose these problems you need to have a Harley Factory Electrical Diagnostic Manual"... LOL, its usually Uncle Sam in my wallet, but this is my own doing....
Found a Electrical manual on ebay.... The inheritance fund is getting low this month....

Last edited:
"This" tank was the 79-85 carbureted tank that has that flange turned down. From the pictures of your car I am wondering if the '85 was a one year only. The odds of the aftermarket making a part for a one year only Fox is about zero in my experience. From that and what is offered it looks like they no longer make tanks for the 79 - mid '81 cars, lumped all the late 81-85 cars to one tank, and all the 86-93 cars to another tank.

I will try hognet to see if I can find a checklist or at least the next direction to go...
Lol.... that site was just something I made up.... a play on StangNet.com and the No Start Checklist here. Careful, it may be a po rn site of fat chicks! :rlaugh:

"This" tank was the 79-85 carbureted tank that has that flange turned down. From the pictures of your car I am wondering if the '85 was a one year only. The odds of the aftermarket making a part for a one year only Fox is about zero in my experience. From that and what is offered it looks like they no longer make tanks for the 79 - mid '81 cars, lumped all the late 81-85 cars to one tank, and all the 86-93 cars to another tank.
Gotcha. Yea, I think there's a good chance that tank may have been a one year thing. Makes sense when considering the unique combination of parts the '85 consisted of.

And I agree with your thought on the consolidating of replacement parts. I've come across several parts that have the '85 part being lumped into a multi-year listing, when I know for a fact that they were 1985 only.

Which surprised me when I saw that Classic tubes has an 85 only, fuel and vent line offer....
And if I buy a new tank I will drive to NPD and look at them.. a few bucks more than Rock auto after shipping....
I cannot tell what the spectra tank looks like from the NPD pic, but the " imported" tank shows a very small flange that does not need to be bent..
Never know until I look at one....
Wish they stocked that 85 only fuel line......

Hope to pull the fuel tank later today and see if I can bend it....

85 stang guy... Thanks so much for the effort you put in doing this....
You're welcome. Glad to help. :nice: Bring on the next challenge (hope I don't regret saying that :p).

Brought back a lot of memories, slithering under the car. The last time a floor jack (and myself too) was under that car was in 1999.... 25 frickin' years ago!

Your exhaust diagram is not what I expected, Figured a single muffler and the split back to two tailpipes after the muffler,,,, TY for adding that...
Again, you're welcome.

The exhaust arrangement is why an 86-93 h-pipe, combined with 86-93 headers, is a bolt-on deal on 85's. Waiting in the wings, I've got a set of 86-93 BBK shortys and a barely used 93 h-pipe. Flowmasters have been on it since the mid-80's, and since they were welded in where the stock mufflers were, everything should bolt together, theoretically.... fingers crossed.

Hope to pull the fuel tank later today and see if I can bend it....
I'd definitely give it a try. You said you had a heat gun, right? Those can get pretty damn hot. I'd heat the heck out of that corner, put some vice grips on it and I think it'll give way easily. It is relatively thin metal, so I think you'll be successful. Fingers crossed for ya.

Got me on that one... It went nowhere,.....
And remember, Fat chicks need love too.....
Haha.

And you can cover my slack on your 2nd sentence. :eek:

OK, so it looks like my tank is an 85 tank now? Large pliers and a hammer and I think it might work...
No heat used. the metal is pretty maleable.. Gas in it and I leaned it over to that side and no leaks so I might call this good..

Spent some time looking at the diagram of the 85 fuel line that Classic tubes sells and after looking at 85 GT's pics I think its what I need... The 2 dimensional pics are sometimes hard to follow the bends on....

Going to make sure my sender is working before reinstalling the tank and I might even wait until I get the new fuel line in before I reinstall the tank.

I " think " this project is moving forward again..
DSCF1435.JPG
DSCF1436.JPG

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
@limp - I added a comment and the fuel line routing exploded view to my post # 42 above.... just so everything is together there. It doesn't quite match exactly what I observed on my car, but it's pretty close. It appears to show an extra bend before the partial-loop over the rear axle.... dunno. :shrug:

@limp - I added a comment and the fuel line routing exploded view to my post # 42 above.... just so everything is together there. It doesn't quite match exactly what I observed on my car, but it's pretty close. It appears to show an extra bend before the partial-loop over the rear axle.... dunno. :shrug:
Appreciate your diligence... The additional diagram looks more like my fuel line rather than yours....
You can see where after it turns back along the tunnel for a bit, it turns 90 degrees to the sub frame, then 90 degrees again towards the back and rides along the sub frame where it dumps into the attached.. Here is a pic of where mine end for the rubber line connectors...
I still have hope for the " 85 only" fuel line at Classic will be like yours...
DSCF1427.JPG

Looking at Late 84-85 fuel senders,,, I bet the clocking is different where the rubber line attaches to it... I would guess they are pointed more towards the center of the car than the 82-84 senders...

...... The additional diagram looks more like my fuel line rather than yours....
You can see where after it turns back along the tunnel for a bit, it turns 90 degrees to the sub frame, then 90 degrees again towards the back and rides along the sub frame where it dumps into the attached.. .....
I still have hope for the " 85 only" fuel line at Classic will be like yours...
Yea, I agree. Mine definitely doesn't make that 90° turn to the frame rail.

That fuel line you're getting has gotta be it.... what else could it be?

Looking at Late 84-85 fuel senders,,, I bet the clocking is different where the rubber line attaches to it... I would guess they are pointed more towards the center of the car than the 82-84 senders...
That would make sense.

Welllll, looky what showed up on my front porch today...
My fuel and vent line for an 85 mustang GT....
These things really are works of art.. Lets hope they fit..
PIctures of bent for shipping and unbent on my driveway...
DSCF1451.JPG
DSCF1452.JPG
DSCF1454.JPG

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users