Fuel soaked #1 spark plug

NMStang218

Aug 15, 2003
Fuel soaked #1 spark plug *Fixed*

Hey hows it going? I have my problem posted on some other great boards but thought Id try here. I was trying to send svttech76 a PM but is seems his box is full which is a shame because he seems to know a lot about this kind of stuff.

Anyway Im experiencing a problem at my number one cylinder. Pulled the plugs and found that it was the ONLY one that is soaked in fuel. Heres some background info.

1998 Mustang 3.8 5 speed
Heads/cam/intake, 1.8 RR's..the list goes on.

I just recently installed a cam and afterward is when I started experiencing this misfire. Heres what ive done
*checked/replace coil pack
*checked/replaced spark plug wires
*check/replaced spark plugs.
*checked number 1 injector harness with voltmeter (maybe i didnt do this right)
*checked compression on #1 -160psi (cold)

Right now im really running out of options. I have fuel, spark, and compression but no combustion in that cylinder. Now heres the funny thing. I was tinkering with a rocker arm on the PASSENGER SIDE and when I put it all together, it was running great! Definitely running on all six. I know the rockers are all torqued down properly from zero lash but this stumps me. I dont think its a rocker but a really big coincidence. Right now I have it totally ripped down again since I had to replace a leaking front seal :(

I would appreciate any feedback or tips you have since I need some help here and going to school full time and working doesnt help. Sorry for such a long message but thought Id be as clear as I can. Thanks in advance.

PS. heres a link to my car on 3.8mustang.com since I frequent over there a lot.:flag:
http://www.3.8mustang.com/members/index.php?action=view&id=4067

• Sponsors (?)

swap that injector with one from another cylinder, go drive for a while and come back. wait to cool and check plugs. if the wet plug changed cylinders then replace injector.

first off thanks for the reply:nice:

Forgot to add that I swapped in a totally different injector (had a bag of extras) and had the exact same result. I'm in the process of purchasing a noid light but for the mean time, any other recommendations?

make sure the extra one matches the part number on the one you are replacing. this once happened to a 95 v6 i had. that same cylinder. i put a newer motor in it and kept the injectors from the newer motor on it. it always had a check engine light on. i went to parts stores and started crossing the part numbers as the newer injectors had different type of tip than the 95 injectors had. they were different numbers and called for certain years. anyway i put the 95 injectors back in but lost one so went to a junkyard to get one. that injector happened to be bad and stuck open making a huge fuel loss and wet plug like you have. i found the injector and put it in and it stopped running bad. moral of the long story, make sure the injector matches the others and make sure they match the certain year models they came from. other than that, if you have good compression on all cylinders and the rockers are working and you have spark, it should be firing. did oyu check the plug for spark or just the end of that plug wire.

just wanted to update this thread. All problems have been resolved. Found out that my harmonic balancer was seperating and causing the timing marks to be off. ALSO using a noid light found that number 6 injector was not firing. Further investigation proved that the power wire was grounding out, so that has been fixed as well. Shes up and running great.:nice: