Functional Hood Scoop

• Sponsors (?)

2nd question: It's to prevent your engine from baking the fuggin paint off your hood. Remove it only if you have a weekend warrior or a trailer queen. If you are daily driving and remove it, expect to get your hood painted quite soon afterward.

1st question: Cut a hole in your hood. Route some type of tubing to the air box.

Results: Hole in hood. Water and debris in the engine bay. Wasted time and money. 0 hp gain.

The Smart way: Buy a Mach 1 kit or CDC Shaker kit. :nice:

I was told once that the padding was a safte feature. In the event of an engine fire it is suposed to drop off the hood and assist in smuthering the flames? Not sure but with all the Govt. mandated safety features it sounds possible. Anyone know if this is true?

Ryan's 02 GT said:
I was told once that the padding was a safte feature. In the event of an engine fire it is suposed to drop off the hood and assist in smuthering the flames? Not sure but with all the Govt. mandated safety features it sounds possible. Anyone know if this is true?

Don't know if it's a mandate or not, but the material is supposedly flame retardant and a heat repellent. That's why it's a pretty good idea to just keep it there if the car is driven in every operating situations.

The material under the hood = for absorbing sound

It is NOT any sort of fire blanket...and it does NOT stop engine heat from making your paint peel. If anyone spews that garbage with confidence...they're likely in a showroom trying to sell you the car.

Go park a black car out in the sun on a 100 degree day and measure the temperature on the surface of the hood...and the paint isn't melting.

CDC used to offer kits to make the GT hood scoop functional, with a tunnel running to the airbox...I posted questions about this like 4+ years ago....the conclusion from those who did it..."save your money...all it does is leak".

:cheers:

2000BLKGT said:
The material under the hood = for absorbing sound

It is NOT any sort of fire blanket...and it does NOT stop engine heat from making your paint peel. If anyone spews that garbage with confidence...they're likely in a showroom trying to sell you the car.

Go park a black car out in the sun on a 100 degree day and measure the temperature on the surface of the hood...and the paint isn't melting.

CDC used to offer kits to make the GT hood scoop functional, with a tunnel running to the airbox...I posted questions about this like 4+ years ago....the conclusion from those who did it..."save your money...all it does is leak".

:cheers:

:rolleyes: Good for you. Take yours off and then get back to us on how long your paint survives. :)
It doesn't make it peel, it bakes it into a nice faded has-been color that has no shine and doesn't respond to polishing.

git-it-83 said:
:rolleyes: Good for you. Take yours off and then get back to us on how long your paint survives. :)
It doesn't make it peel, it bakes it into a nice faded has-been color that has no shine and doesn't respond to polishing.

Go ask a Ford engineer! :rolleyes:

It's a fuggin tactic that the Sales dept made up (re: the fire blanket BS). Typical crap that they like to spew to convince the customer that "the car will save you".

As for the paint fading...that's funny...I hang with some of the nicest show Stangs I've ever seen...many of them have been showcased in MM&FF...not only do they NOT have the material under their hoods...they also have custom paint on the underside. And many are daily drivers too. No hood insulator...no paint fading.

I've got a 9 year old Cavalier too...no hood insulator...no paint fade. I've also got a 1990 Morgan +8...no hood insulator...no paint fade...and the Morgan runs hot like a Mofo with barely any hood clearance around the big V8...15 years old...not even a clearcoat paint job and no fading.

The material is there for sound absorbtion...nothing more...nothing less.

I'm leaving mine in place right now cause it looks better than the underside of the stock hood...chances are an aftermarket hood happen sooner or later...and it'll have custom paint on the underside with no worries.

git-it-83 said:

You are buying into the hype as well. I can guarantee that the hood wilthout that blanket does not get as hot as the inner fenderwells next to my headers, and the paint on them is as shiny as it was brand new.

2000BLKGT said:
Go ask a Ford engineer! :rolleyes:

It's a fuggin tactic that the Sales dept made up (re: the fire blanket BS). Typical crap that they like to spew to convince the customer that "the car will save you".

As for the paint fading...that's funny...I hang with some of the nicest show Stangs I've ever seen...many of them have been showcased in MM&FF...not only do they NOT have the material under their hoods...they also have custom paint on the underside. And many are daily drivers too. No hood insulator...no paint fading.

I've got a 9 year old Cavalier too...no hood insulator...no paint fade. I've also got a 1990 Morgan +8...no hood insulator...no paint fade...and the Morgan runs hot like a Mofo with barely any hood clearance around the big V8...15 years old...not even a clearcoat paint job and no fading.

The material is there for sound absorbtion...nothing more...nothing less.

I'm leaving mine in place right now cause it looks better than the underside of the stock hood...chances are an aftermarket hood happen sooner or later...and it'll have custom paint on the underside with no worries.

Tactic or not, I don't think it's going to stop fires. You cannot argue it doesn't deflect intense heat--it's a fibrous pad about 1/4" thick. Sure, show cars won't have paint fade 'cause they never run long enough in RUSH HOUR to develop underhood temps above 250*. Doubt many of them drive 50 miles per day, 6 days per week either.

As for the paint fade, best of luck to you, but I've seen a '88 GMC pickup fade, a '96 Chebby half ton hood fade, a '97 half ton Dodge hood fade: all owned by an idiot friend who didn't want the ugly thing under his hood. Well, he's got more ugly problems now. Enjoy your cars and just remember they are yours and it's your money. :)

I doubt the engine makes that much heat. If so, then you would expect a lot of the rubber pieces under the hood to melt before your hood paint. Also a black car left in 100 degree heat would be much worse than driving it without the stupid padding.

jstreet0204 said:
You are buying into the hype as well. I can guarantee that the hood wilthout that blanket does not get as hot as the inner fenderwells next to my headers, and the paint on them is as shiny as it was brand new.

:) I'm happy for you. What are you talking about hype? I didn't buy into any idea, it (the pad) was there when I bought the car. :scratch:

Engineers don't put things in place for giggles, because they would have excluded them in design to save $$$$. You think bean counters would let them add cost to a production vehicle just because it's neat?

Wow, guys, relax and enjoy your cars. Do whatever you want to them, that's fine.

ponysarepretty said:
I doubt the engine makes that much heat. If so, then you would expect a lot of the rubber pieces under the hood to melt before your hood paint. Also a black car left in 100 degree heat would be much worse than driving it without the stupid padding.

Measure your underhood temperatures with a thermocouple and get back to us.......kthanks.

git-it-83 said:
As for the paint fade, best of luck to you, but I've seen a '88 GMC pickup fade, a '96 Chebby half ton hood fade, a '97 half ton Dodge hood fade: all owned by an idiot friend who didn't want the ugly thing under his hood. Well, he's got more ugly problems now. Enjoy your cars and just remember they are yours and it's your money. :)

He should have waxed them more often. oxidation will fade the paint long before underhood heat will.

jstreet0204 said:
Why don't the inner fender wells fade next the the exhaust?

They don't by your account. Subjectivity is great.

I've never cared more about the inner fender wells' appearance than I care about the exterior of the car, sooooo who cares about the inner fender wells' appearance? Not me, therefore, it is irrelevant.