Funtional GT hood problems

dang, 600 miles and you go through 3 tanks? how often do you floor it? I usually can go 300 miles on a tank easily and thats with at least 10 WOT runs to get onto the highway. 400 miles a tank if im babying it.

• Sponsors (?)

parkgoons said:
dang, 600 miles and you go through 3 tanks? how often do you floor it? I usually can go 300 miles on a tank easily and thats with at least 10 WOT runs to get onto the highway. 400 miles a tank if im babying it.

i highly doubt that. i got from modesto(a half hour south of stockton) to the other side of the grapevine(roughly 250mi) to fill up. the fuel low light came on on top of the grapevine, and i coasted down basically(you can slap it in neutral and idle down the grapevine).

200/tank of normal city/freeway driving is probaly right on the money.

to orignal poster - sucks you didnt do homework before cutting. all that water/weather/debris has to go somewhere, and its gonna go right on top of your motor.

i really fail to see the benifits of a ram air hood, unless the ram air part sits right over some carbs, or has an induction path that leads to the intake. otherwise youre going to get exactly what happened here.

maybe you can invest in a mach1 shaker setup now(real deal) or get a heat extractor hood. or you could get a 01 and up hood scoop and seal that up to seal off the hole you cut in what looks like the normal 99-00 hoods(which is all thats under a 01 up hood anyways, just gotta drill holes for the scoop assembly).

at least we now have a thread to point people to when they ask about making the stock hoods into functional hood scoops

250 is all you got when drivin on freeways? man i seriously must be babying the car or something. my mods say they'll help with gas milage but i didnt know that much. Also i top it off everytime i doubt that could let me go much further. The driving i did when i got 400 was freeway at a slow 65 mph. But I promise those numbers are legit. I see anywhere from 300-400 miles on a tank. Sorry to jack your thread fastangboi.

Haha the first thing people ask me is if its a functional scoop...Unfortunately as people have said with the sealed airbox that pulls air from the fenderwell a hood scoop will do nothing. The shaker systems have ducts that connect to the airbox so there is at least some change in the airflow. Even then from what i have seen the shaker systems dont provide much of a performance increase, theyre still mainly for looks.

hotmustang331 said:
Jeeze, you guys suck! LOL. This guy is having enough trouble and KNOWS it was a mistake....he doesnt need everyone bashing him for it. We have all thought of it at one time...but most of us went and asked on the forums (myself included, a long time ago)...this guy had the balls to try it BEFORE asking.
Heh, just a good reason to buy a new hood like you said man :nice: .

The 00 cobra R's louvers are NOT functional...but we changed that with mine :D
DONT WORRY GUYS WE TOOK PRECAUTIONS! No water (MAYBE a very small amount if you spray water directly into the slots) will get in from rain. :nice:

correct
the stock 2000R ones arent functional

however if you get a hybrid cf hood from niche performance industries (npi) you do get functional louvers with an internal cover.
http://www.nichepi.com/94-04mustang.htm

^ WOW, awsome link! Thanks. Im sure people will be buying that :D .

Only thing is that it looks like the full slot is cut out...if you get caught by a sudden rain and your bottom piece is off, your in trouble LOL. But, thats a VERY nice hood.

Kilgore Trout said:
I apologize, I was just really torqued off about the whole situation...

Anyways, I was young once and did the same kinda shiot :shrug:

You do stupid stuff every day, don't lie... you're lucky we love you in a non-homo-sexual way... homo :SNSign:

yea just get a new hood. those npi ones are awsome....i want the 12 lbs. $1000 one:jaw: that would be awsome but im not willing to pay a grand for a hood.

if not i have a stocker hood i can sell you cheap, you will have to paint it.

we all owned ourselves at one point....my shift knob is still thread locked to my tri-ax shifter!!!!!:eek: still dont know what the hell im gonna do with that when the time comes:D

ADRENLN said:
yea just get a new hood. those npi ones are awsome....i want the 12 lbs. $1000 one:jaw: that would be awsome but im not willing to pay a grand for a hood.

if not i have a stocker hood i can sell you cheap, you will have to paint it.

we all owned ourselves at one point....my shift knob is still thread locked to my tri-ax shifter!!!!!:eek: still dont know what the hell im gonna do with that when the time comes:D
I dont like the look of the louvers in the miidle of the hood. i was stongly considering the Cervinis 2000r w/o louvers. Cervinis is realy good about fitment.
Actually looks just like yours

parkgoons said:

Dang , do you drive or just get your car towed to get 300 out of tank. I get less then 200miles and I drive 95% highway.

How much HP do you have 80 ? :owned:

Thanks for sharing your results with us. Several people have done this, but not many post back the results of it.

If you removed your honeycomb and didn't drill holes in it, maybe you can just slap the honeycomb back on for an easy fix?