Gas Mileage

Discussion in '1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-' started by RedPonyV6, Jul 28, 2011.

1. RedPonyV6

RedPonyV6 New Member

Hey guys, just joined the forum, I have a 2000 Mustang with a 3.8L and a standard tranny.. This car is a replacement for my old car which was a focus. One thing I haven't been too impressed with on the Mustang is the gas mileage, I didn't expect it to do as well as my little 2.3L economy box, but I have been averaging around 15-18 MPG, which seems a little rough for a V6. Even weeks where I'm not letting into the gas pedal, it seems to be guzzling gas..

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to improve this? I have already tuned it up, I do my oil changes every 3000 miles with full synthetic, and I check my tire pressure often.. Someone said dual-exhaust, cold air intake, and underdrive pulleys would make a huge difference, but I am a little tight on cash these days, so I just want to make sure the investment in those things would pay off at the pump eventually..

I appreciate any advice!
  2. jrod2423

jrod2423 Active Member

first off a couple questions,,,
    do you have the ac on for any amount of time while you drive,
    do you drive in the city, back woods, or interstate,,,,, and
    is the car stock from the factory or has somebody modified the engine or anything?
  3. RED98

RED98 Member

That's lower than it should be, mine has 3.55 gears and an automatic, and even with 50/50 city/highway driving, I'm getting 23-24 mpg. I'd check all the basics, like tire pressure and such, then head to a shop and have them check it out.