Gauges

SWYZ721

Aug 24, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Why are gauges still analog display?

I mean, the sweeping clock display is so old and outdated (unless thats the look you're going for of course)

I mean I think they are sweet, but I wonder how com you don't see a line, possibly from autometer, of ALL digital display, they are much easier (this is not opinion, this is FACT) to read in a pinch.

You don't see the A/F gauges, the most crucial gauge when tuning, as an analog sweeping gauge, so why not have ALL gauges in digital display?

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure about why the A/F gauges are digital, but I think they keep most other gauges analopg so you can see where it is in relation to everything else. I personally would rather see a needle on a gauge so I can see how far I am from 0 that just seeing a number. That just my opinion.

im gonna say MOST gauges would be easier to read digital but not speedo or tach. i have a digital tach and the numbers go up so fast you cant really keep up with that and watch the road at the same time. i think digital temp/oil/volt/whatever would be good though

urban96 said:
im gonna say MOST gauges would be easier to read digital but not speedo or tach. i have a digital tach and the numbers go up so fast you cant really keep up with that and watch the road at the same time. i think digital temp/oil/volt/whatever would be good though
Yea, but some people dont know wahts "normal' so for regular cars that would be out. For aftermarket it would be ok though.

Agreed. I am not a fan of digital stuff. I recall having to mount my literbike's tach with my self-imposed redline straight-up, since I couldnt even see the needle and numbers in a glance. Trying to read a digital number that's changing rapidly would be tough, and almost impossible to do peripherally.

Some of the street rod digital gauges (NS, DD, etc) look nice though. I think the real solution is a HUD that's digital - that'd be mint!