gear dilema....

OK....did an AOD to 5 speed swap a few months ago, now I find out it was a 4 banger tranny.:nonono: The biggest problem is I have 4:10's with no first gear and barley a 2nd to start rolling.

tranny's 3.95 1st gear + 4:10's + 26" tires = What 4:30's?

I have an chance to swap differentials with a buddy who has 3:73's and wants my 4:10's

tranny's 3.95 1st + 3.73's + 26" tires = What?

Car is a daily driver that sees the race track about 3 times a year.

Thanks for your input.:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't bother. You are more than likely to blow the t-5 before the rear end. So next t-5 you could get a V8 version and be all set.

If you drop a gear and blow your t-5, then what? You'll need to get another 4-banger t-5

Not exactly. They are weaker due to the steeper gearing

Gear things steep enough and you create enough torque through gear reduction that things will start snapping. The V8 versions are not geared as steeply so they will take a little more torque.

Other than that they have the same synchro design and most major parts are interchangable.

But they are only rated to 240 ft-lbs while the v8's were 265 and later 300 ft-lbs.

when i first got my 88 someone had put a 4cyl t-5 in it and i was merciless on it on the street and dragstrip and it never let me down.it had 3.73's in it when i first got it (7.5rear) and when i upgraded to an 8.8 with 3.55s the car ran way better because you could actually use first gear.even 3.73's would be better than 4.10s.