Gear Ratio Question (1997 GT 5spd)

jmk97GT

Oct 29, 2004
Ok, I checked the tag on the door jam and under axle it clearly says "BM", but when I look in my service manual, the only thing closest to it clearly reads "8M".

Can anyone help me with this issue? Is it a simple typo and I have 2.73 gears or is there really a "BM" axle code?

Also, I have to say that comparing the speeds of my car and my friend's car (1994 5.0 5spd), it seems that my car has higher rpms at different speeds than his car (I have about 2000 rpms at 25mph whereas hes at about 1500)

I also dont know if the previous owner could have put new gears in.

Can anyone either tell me what BM means or match up their own rear end with mine (if theirs is about 2000rpms at 25mph?)

Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

Your VC label will list one of these codes under where it says AX, on the lower right hand corner of the label.
1997:
1=2.73
A=2.73
C=3.27
Are you sure you are looking at the right code?
If you check the tag on the rear axle, it will say the actual ratio as in: 2.73
If you're still not sure let me know what rpm you're turning at 60mph in 5th and I can tell you.

I got the stang in june, it has 16 inch 245/50 tires on it.

Still waiting on that tire...I took it in previously but they didnt even fix the seal, it leaked worse :notnice: . Hopefully I'll have it back tonight.

The only reason 2.73 doesnt seem right is that from memory I remember it being at around 2000rpms in 2nd gear, and when I punch in the 245/50 tire specs into the gear ratio calculator at Corral, it tells me 3.06.

I'll just check for that 1450 in 5th gear.

I wish it came with at least 3.08s, maybe 3.27s because 2.73 seems a bit whimpy, and upgrading to only 3.27 doesnt seem to be worth it. I dont want to go up to 3.73 because I dont want to go crazy...

jmk97GT said:
I got the stang in june, it has 16 inch 245/50 tires on it.

Still waiting on that tire...I took it in previously but they didnt even fix the seal, it leaked worse :notnice: . Hopefully I'll have it back tonight.

The only reason 2.73 doesnt seem right is that from memory I remember it being at around 2000rpms in 2nd gear, and when I punch in the 245/50 tire specs into the gear ratio calculator at Corral, it tells me 3.06.

I'll just check for that 1450 in 5th gear.

I wish it came with at least 3.08s, maybe 3.27s because 2.73 seems a bit whimpy, and upgrading to only 3.27 doesnt seem to be worth it. I dont want to go up to 3.73 because I dont want to go crazy...
The gear ratio thing only works for speed/rpm in 5th [or O/D]
Hope you get the tire fixed soon, Don't ya just hate waiting around and then when you go back they havn't even started working on it yet :bang: