Gears getting stuck!

1qckFOX

Jan 1, 2004
Ok guys here's my problem, every once in a while my car will get stuck in a gear and will not wan to come out. This really sucks when you come to a stop lol. I think it's my clutch cable because i messsed arourn with the firewall adjuster to give me pedal length and it doesn't get stuck again. So does this mean it's my clutch cable? It is a aftermarket adjustable which i heard sucked so should i just go get a OEM one from somewhere?

• Sponsors (?)

where is your point of engagement?
if you are not disengaging the clutch all the way, you can have problems getting it out of gear. i would make sure you have very little freeplay. most folks like to actually dial in 10# of preload on the cable. this should more than disengage the clutch.
good luck.

im havin the same problem and i adjusted my clutch many different ways and it never helped. i put preload on the cable like hissin50 said, and i took the preload off of the the cable and still the same problem. i took it to aamco and they said the trans needed rebuilt....so i just bought a new one

Anything else to add to this? My car got stuck in 4th tonight. After I limped in 4th or possibly 3rd into a parking lot (while getting shaken to death (with some horrible grinding noises after I finnally ripped it out of 4th)) It would barely get out of netural and into 3rd if actually in either. I couldn't move the shifter left or right at all. I ended up riding the clutch out in 3rd gear and moving the car forward about 30 feet then it stalled. Then magically all the gears worked again! WTF??

Car has new transmission, aftermarket shifter, king cobra clutch, and ajustable quadrant. Any ideas? :shrug: