Getting things to work and display correctly on my cluster. I would appreciate anyone's two cent's worth.

To give a walkthrough on what the video is showing in the URL: First is turn signal Left with Solid indicator showing on Dash, and both front and rear Exterior left Turn signals. Turn Signal Flasher is not activating with left turn. Right turn signal Flashes correctly, however the Light on the dash does not illuminate. When pressing the Hazard switch, All 4 hazards flash outside correctly, the driver left flashes, the passenger side does not. High Beam Indicator does not display. I have two verified 87-89 style Clusters, however both circuit boards are in pretty rough shape and appear to gain no extra functions replacing. When I got the clusters, all of the light bulbs were removed and I put bulb in every socket, Could this be causing an issue? Can someone photograph how its supposed to be? I also don't know if the Brake light is supposed to illuminate when I pull the Emergency Brake but I have not been able to get that to do anything either. The Belts Light does illuminate when going from the off to Run position for 3-5 seconds and does not reappear, even though I do not have the seat on. I did have the vehicle running before recording video and did not change anything. I included A Turn Signal Hazard Diagram.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Foxbody/comments/1cm4h84/getting_things_to_work_and_display_correctly_on/

I have replaced Both Flashers, Headlight Switch, Rheostat Dimmer Switch, Flasher Switch. All Parking Lamps work on vehicle. The only Lights that dont work correctly are these Dash lights and the turn signals. I don't even care if I fix the Right Turn Signal at this point, I just need the left. D:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Sponsors (?)

I went to the parts store today for a multifunction switch, just for :poo:s and giggles. They asked me whether or not I had Tilt Wheel or not. Supposedly the ones without Tilt Wheel has Flash to Pass. No Idea what that is. However, my vehicle does not have tilt wheel and has the "Tilt Wheel" turn signal according to them. I have no idea what is supposed to be original to the car. Is what I have original to a Non tilt wheel steering column? When I read the diagrams for the High Beam Indicator, it comes up again for the Flash to Pass. Does Anyone have a guess at this and can explain to me what's going on?

1st photo of one that is exactly like in car and comes up when looking up the 87-89 Mustang parts.
2nd photo is of one that is for a vehicle w/o Tilt according to parts store with Flash to Pass.
3rd Photo is of headlight/Foglight Diagram where Turn Signal Flash to Pass was mentioned again in Electrical book.

Attachments

• 1s3115.jpg
    1s3115.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 8
  • tsw46_1.1339_1.jpg
    tsw46_1.1339_1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Captudtxcre.JPG
    Captudtxcre.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 11
Parts store is wrong. The 2nd pic (yellow unit) is an 84-86 Mustang MF switch. You can tell because it has the hazard switch mounted on it. All 87-93 mustangs have the hazard button located at the top right side of the cluster.

There is only one 87-89 Multifunction switch.

Doesn't mean it's good necessarily.

How bad are the ribbon boards on the cluster? If bad, that might be the source of your issue as well. The red BRAKE light on the dash is supposed to come on with the parking brake.

Thank you for verifying the information. The Ribbons are in pretty rough shape. Every exterior ribbon has some sort of separation from the superficial backing layer. I did a visual examination before install and there seemed to be no breaks in the traces, but that doesn't mean there isn't. Is there a replacement Ribbon Cable that can be purchased? I've been having a problem finding a seller with another cluster that can confirm everything was functioning and the edges not be flared light mine are.

MFE,
Probably and dumb question but are the printed circuit boards the same for the 4 cylinder cars and the V8's?

OfflineHomestead,
Other thing is you should have a tilt steering wheel column in your car being its an 87. The non-tilt started in 1990 with the introduction of the steering wheel airbag. There should be a tilt lever on the left hand side of the column up behind the steering wheel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9fEfxSUrhY

Last edited:
MFE,
Probably and dumb question but are the printed circuit boards the same for the 4 cylinder cars and the V8's?

OfflineHomestead,
Other thing is you should have a tilt steering wheel column in your car being its an 87. The non-tilt started in 1990 with the introduction of the steering wheel airbag. There should be a tilt lever on the left hand side of the column up behind the steering wheel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9fEfxSUrhY

I would be very happy if someone confirms this information considering i'm stumped. Lol. According to the document i'm uploading now, it says that that Tilt Wheel was optional with the 2.3L. The plastic trim that was on the car was different that what it shows in that video. I do not have a lever. if it is a 90 Column, What wiring would be different? I'll try to verify whatever I can.

Attachments

• 87m_15.jpg
    87m_15.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 8
Well, that board is listed for an 87-89 Mustang 5.0 (and not other displacements), so that would lead me to believe that they are different.
I would think so, however, the dude who commented it is very knowledgeable on it. I just wanted to make sure he didn't make the mistake of realzing it was for the 2.3L. If he didn't make a mistake, I may still have a cluster I can try out.

I don’t see any the indication in the eVtM there are any guage cluster differences between 2.3s and 5.0s in the wiring diagrams other than the 6k tach.

All connections are the same and all warning lights are the same.

IIRC the resistor is both on the socket and board. Need to check mine to see if present on both. I know some won’t have it.

Another cluster. Original to my ‘88.

Same ribbon part number (located above the tach). This one has the resistor on the ribbon and the socket. It’s the same resistance value for both.

Resistors in parallel do affect overall value however. Need to research this a tad and what ford was trying to accomplish.

IMG_9775.jpeg

What’s the part number on your 2.3 ribbons? Mine are all E8 part nimbers, which means ‘87s will have their own E7 part number as well

Reactions: 1 user
Another cluster. Original to my ‘88.

Same ribbon part number (located above the tach). This one has the resistor on the ribbon and the socket. It’s the same resistance value for both.

Resistors in parallel do affect overall value however. Need to research this a tad and what ford was trying to accomplish.

IMG_9775.jpeg

What’s the part number on your 2.3 ribbons? Mine are all E8 part nimbers, which means ‘87s will have their own E7 part number as well
I attached a partially zoom'd in photo of the part number that I had on my phone. It looks to me that it is an E7 part number. Whats the trace on the board soldered? Mine is separated in the exact same spot.

Attachments

• part number.JPG
    part number.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 12
Someone soldered in a jumper wire because the copper traces are separating.

One on the far right would be cluster lighting feed and the one inside of that is coolant temp

I've been trying to get a new multifunction switch. Parts store got it and it was a used part in the box.. new one will be here tomorrow just to eliminate the part. I got the alternator light to work after getting the bulbs situated. However, the light only comes on when I pull the turn signal lever towards me and go left or right. I tried to upload a video, but it won't let me. Alternator light doesn't come on either with initial key to on position either.

I got the new multifunction switch. however installing a new switch didnt change anything. Can anyone confirm if there is more than one power wire from the hazard to the turn signal switch? I'm thinking I need to replace the hazard again.

Long story short, dash electrics have oil inside of them. I connected the dots on why this is happening. Car was vandalized by roommate 2 years back and looks like I missed the oil in the dash electronics...