Going big... 460 big.

The Fox

Mar 30, 2005
Port Elizabeth
Who was the guy on here that built the 512? I need some answers or anyone else that has put a 460 in their Fox. Here are my questions...

New K member?
Retain stock steering shaft?
Is there a bell that can mate a 460 to a C4?
Any websites sell BB parts? Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers
What size carb with HCI? 1050?
What is STOCK hp/tq and at what rpms?
Power is probably best between 2500-4000 right?

Thanks all.

Anthony

• Sponsors (?)

I can't answer all those questions because i've never built one, but i have driven a '68 with a 512 and it was pretty roudy. As far as a fox swap there's a few guys on here who've done it, i just can't remember the name...one guy with a black LX hatch who did a hell of a good job and lives up north from me....damn can't remember his screen name.

I think the worst part is just the weight you pick up with all that motor. I like to corner carve some so i wouldn't be able to handle it, but maybe if i built a second stang for strip only i'd do it.

Tonys89GT said:
Exploding Gopher:)

:bang: Yeah i knew that. The lady (yeah lady) who has the '68/512 got the motor out of her husbands mud runner. I've heard that it makes ~700hp but i think it's more like 500. Either way it's pretty nasty, and it does still have D3 heads on it too, just ported and polished to hell and back. She got all this from her husband who died from diabetes a few years back. He also had a Mach 1 and had an aluminum head 512 sitting on an engine stand wrapped in plastic waiting to go into it before he died. Rumour has it that she sold that engine for 1300 dollars...she's a meth head :mad:

Theres swap kits for this, and it is a fairly common bracket car setup. The c4 bell may be the hardest thing to find, it has to come from a car that had a 351 or 400M engine and a C4. I have seen a couple, but also a couple of c6 setups, as the c6 is easy to find to fit the engine.

I was going to do a 460 Fox swap years ago. Atleast I thought I was going to do that. I even made a plate that bolted the 460 block to the front shock towers. Once got into it and found out first hand what was involved, I had a change of heart. I could build 2 really nice drivers for what that one strip car would cost. But if you've got the money and time, go for it. You'll have to mount the master cylinder inside under the dash just for example.

?

i 've done this swap and it's not hard at all! first you do not have to relocate the master cylinder,hell if you keep stock valve covers you can even keep the power brake booster! stock k-member will work fine,but if you decide on a tubular k-m avoid the d&d ones(less header clearence than stock k-m).good luck on finding a factory c-4 to big block bell housing(i have 2 but better hang on to them)use hooker swap headers,frpp mounts,your choice of rear sump oil pan,and with a c-4 you won't have to cut the drive shaft! it's best to space the k-m away from the body anywher from 1-2 inches for extra hood clearence and to help level out the engine(i only went 1 inch by the way).best to go with aftermarket steering shaft(your preference if you want to keep the power steering or not).now as far as making power that depends on your budget,if it's anything like mine it almost non-existent! i used ported 68 model iron heads(68-69-70 model heads are hell to beat when properly ported. i had my first setup in an 88 hatchback.the engine was stock with the exception of a summit cam kit(89.95!).the engine came from a 77 f-150.i am in the process of building a new setup for an 88 coupe(ported c8ve heads that flow [email protected] and [email protected],victor 460 intake,a holley hp 950,the cam specs are [email protected] and .670-.699 lift,and to top it off,an nx fogger jetted for 250hp, the internals are stock crank,eagle h-beams and ross pistons,with studs holding everything) the car is gutted so i'm expecting 1/8 mile times in the 5.90-6.10 range. please excuse my rambling,once i get started i can't stop!!!

Expensive HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA....... mine costs about $6500 for misc parts and to build the motor ( i had connections though through ford racing :) )

Relocating the master.......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......im running the tall ford racing aluminum valve covers and they clear the booster by about a 1/2 inch....with a stock 5.0 K-member....

I kept as much stock as i could get away with, even made my own serpentine setup from most of the 5.0 pulleys/components.......

Drive it every weekend on the street, Using 93 octane mixed with a little leaded 110 octane, putting a **** load of hp/tq out, and the manual VB and ratchet shifter (B&M hammer) make it worth every tire shredding penny.

It pulls like hell even on the freeway, reliable as hell, and most importantly........UNIQUE

Any more question/BS ??????

I understand everything is more expensive and there is work involved. Oh BTW, thanks for chiming in Gopher. Anyway, this car is already strip only. I have eibach drag launch springs so the front is well supported. 2.5" hood to clear any issues. I REALLY wanted to use a C4, but if worst comes worst I will go C6.

Now I just have to find somebody to buy my BBK longtubes, BBK o/r X, 3 chamber flowmasters. It's a shame, this car has never seen the street and I gotta get rid of parts because I really want to say I got a 460 in the MFer. Performer intake, 544 lift Lunati cam, 1.7 rrs.

So all I need is mounts, exhaust, oil pan and possibly driveshaft? I don't want to start on the HCI until the thing is in and running.

I have a shortened AOD driveshaft with a c6 yoke. Stay away from flowmasters especially 3 chamber flows with a strip car. Go with something free flowing, i have dynomax race bullets. If your running a stock dizzy, or a motor plate with a MSD dizzy then you can get away with a 2.5" cowl.

I have a low rise single plane intake (torker II)...... and with a drop base air cleaner with a small filter, you can get away with a 4" cowl if using swap motor mounts. i had a 2.5" cowl when the 5.0 was in there and i put it on the car and saw that the msd dizzy was too high to use it with the 460. Mallory dizzy may be shorter but im not sure, i have all MSD ignition.

What Im saying is im now getting rid of that full exhaust system after not even REALLY using it. It was installed and that's it. Hope to be able to buy just the headers with what I sell my exhaust for.

Hey auto02, will you PLEASE consider selling one or at least let me know what they come out of so I can search for it. So with a big block mated to a C4 what kind of driveshaft am I lookin at? I currently only have a driveshaft from a fox with a T5.

Most likley running stock dizzy. I'm thinking for power output I'll just do cam, intake and port the stock heads.

Anthony

what head is it? The smog heads are dogs, at a minimum use a C8-C9-D0 head. The piston is junk, the rod needs an arp bolt at a minimum, plus big end resize. Dont build a warmed over 460, you will be dissapointed. I did my first 460/fox in 89' with a warm 472 and it was a waste. 550-660hp+ for a fun big block fox. C4 needs to be built if your gonna run any power, you will end up teraing it apart. A bone stock C6 will handle 600+ lb-ft of torque. Some considerations to think of. I got my 557 waiting for the 85' chassis to be done.

So if Im just trying to get reliable low cost power what rods + pistons are good to go with.

BTW, Im looking on summit and trying to find what cam and intake I want to get.

The Torker II is a single plane, single carb'd intake with advertised optimal range of 2500-6500rpms.

And the I found a cam, lifter, timing chain package from comp. Are these good breathing specs for a 460?

530 Lift
280 Duration
2000-6000rpm optimal

I really dont know the breathing habits of a 460 and how they run... unlike the 302.

smockdoiley on here has that cam with a torker II, he made i think mid 300 hp at the wheels. Bad cam choice to go with there, go bigger, i have 234/244 @.050 (i think 310/320 adv dur.) with .552/.578 lift on 112LSA and its still streetable, im using modded C8VE heads. its at 10.4:1 compression. Im using eagle I beam rods with floating pins, KB 206 pistons which are 15cc dish that poke out of the hole a little because the block was milled. Its a big project, gather all the info on your block and heads first and plan everything.

Any more questions, go to www.460ford.com

they helped me build my combo and lots of them have swapped 429/460s in everything and build 1000+hp N/A combos, they are the most knowledgeable 429/460 guys on the net.

If you want to use the C4 JW and PA both made a SFI bellhousing that will bolt on to the pump like factory.Also,cause there certified if you go into a 10.99 or what ever it is (I cant remember) you wont need the flexplate shield cause its burst proof.You will still need the scatter shield for the trans case though.

Gopher what converter are you runing?

ExplodingGopher said:
smockdoiley on here has that cam with a torker II, he made i think mid 300 hp at the wheels. Bad cam choice to go with there, go bigger, i have 234/244 @.050 (i think 310/320 adv dur.) with .552/.578 lift on 112LSA and its still streetable, im using modded C8VE heads. its at 10.4:1 compression. Im using eagle I beam rods with floating pins, KB 206 pistons which are 15cc dish that poke out of the hole a little because the block was milled. Its a big project, gather all the info on your block and heads first and plan everything.

Totally agree,most street guys end up under-camming thier motors. And hyperutectic pistons are fine for on motor and maybe a little shot (200hp on a big block is little :) ).

Wow, thanks for the heads up on that ebay deal. I really appreciate it. I'm "watching" it now. Not a bad deal at all! (His reserve is only 325!)

I don't plan on doing pistons or rods at first. I'll start with cam, intake and porting the stock heads. If I can get my hands on a certain set of stock heads which would be best? (For example the E7TE being the best stock 302 heads)

I just came into a better job, that's why I can afford this winter project. I might make videos of the install just for fun and then anyone else doing this swap can have a reference guide of sorts...

Anthony