Going from a 5.0 to 4.6 need advice

ep87

May 19, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Hi

I've owned 2 5.0 mustangs and decided to get a 96-98 sn95 type mustang.
I found a low mileage (72,000) 96 4.6 gt automatic, that I'm real interested in, but I know It's the first year for that motor, is there any common problems they had with that year that I should look out for, or maybe concider a 97-98.
thanks in advance for any info.

Richard

• Sponsors (?)

I can't really think of any problems that the 96 has that the 97-98 don't have. Your biggest concer should be the intake manifold. Make sure it has the aluminum crossover, and if it doesn't, tell the person you want about $750 off the price because if it has the plastic crossover and it hasn't cracked yet, it will soon. I bought my car with 55k on it and the damn crossover cracked at 58k. Make sure you take care of that first. Also, before you buy it, crawl under it and make sure that there is no oil around the differential or the back of the mufflers, if you find any oil anywhere it might have a diff. leak. This is another problem I had because I didn't check before I bought it. Only $100 to fix though because I caught it early enough. Other than that, just make sure the car was well taken care of.

what i would recomend for that car.

PI head swap with PI cams or better :D 4.10's, sct2, 2800-3200 stall converter, j-mod, longtubes, off-road x, some sort of exhaust system that suits your sound tastes. since it's a auto weld the tourqe boxes and axle tubes install 31 spline carrier and axles, upr control arms, remove frt sway bar and swap to 15 inch rims and slicks. drive to nearest dragway and run it. :D

Thanks guys I - appreciate all the info. one of the reasons I'm interested in this 96 is the price, the cars super clean, and I can pick it up for 6k. the car will be for my wife, and I'm all ready planning some mod's. This will leave lots in the budget for my Drag car.
thanks again.

You said it's the wife's car? If so, who cares about power or strut tower braces?

Buy a 99+ .. less work, less mods just to bring it up to the same level as everyone else, and much much nicer looking body.. oh.. and you'll eliminate those ugly spark plug wires in the engine bay which those 96-98 guys are stuck with. :nice:

I would not get it. a 96 stock auto is a 15sec car. I guess if power is not an issue. I was not impressed with the used 98 I drove when I was buying my stang and it was a 5 speed. I can't imagine if it were a stock auto.

I would at least look for a 99+ and test drive it. 96 brakes are not a nice either. so since it is the wifes car give he a bit more stopping power.

In the long run that car will cost a lot more than if you started with 99+

The PI swap is too expensive IMHO... Cheaper in the long run to just start with 99+

So, what "feels" like a good deal at 6k will ultimately not be based on your stated goals for the car.

Walk away from this deal mang.

Honestly if i was gonna get 96-98...i'd STRONGLY look past them and get a 94 or 95 sn95 5.0l.... Not just cause of the 5.0, just because i feel that 5.0 has alot more out their that's easy to come by and cheaper, mods wise..

Look up plastic intake crack, and spark plug blow out...not pretty with 4.6's...i never heard of a 5.0 doing that.

Just to add did you drive a 4.6 yet..? If you like 5.0's you will not like 4.6's.. The 4.6 makes power much higher then the 5.0 and stock for stock the 5.0 is more 'fun' 0-60 wise..lol.

PS, the 302 has a much better exhaust note...omg don't even get me started.

The SN95 5.0's were way underpowered.. And don't forget about the 5.0 era issues if you're going to downtalk the 4.6 cars because of the intake. Broken ashtray doors, eratic idling, headlight switch overheating, 2.73 gears stock, are just a few examples of issues on the foxbody's I thought of in 5 seconds. :shrug:

ep87 said:
Thanks guys I - appreciate all the info. one of the reasons I'm interested in this 96 is the price, the cars super clean, and I can pick it up for 6k. the car will be for my wife, and I'm all ready planning some mod's. This will leave lots in the budget for my Drag car.
thanks again.

oh it's for the wife. then add some more power mods to my list :lol:

sounds like this car is a good deal.