Going To The Track, Questions

spitfirees20

Nov 17, 2006
I'm going to the track in August to finally see what the car can do. I was reading the track's requirements (New England Dragway in Epping, NH if anyone has been) and noticed they said:

- Overflow can for radiator
- Battery hold down bracket

Doesn't the car have both of those stock? If not, is there a cheap way to make or buy either/both of these? I would hate to drive 4 hours just for them to not let my car pass the safety check. Any other IHRA rules I should watch out for? Thanks in advance! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, your car should have both from the factory.

How much power does your car make so we can figure out the safety equipment requirements? Is your car a vert? Below 13.99, a helmet is required. My track requires a helmet for everyone though, even the 18 second hondas running highway speeds in the quarter. :lol:

How much power does your car make so we can figure out the safety equipment requirements? Is your car a vert? Below 13.99, a helmet is required. My track requires a helmet for everyone though, even the 18 second hondas running highway speeds in the quarter. :lol:

About as much power as one of those hondas :D It's a 98 GT Coupe Automatic with P.I. Intake Manifold, K&N Cone Filter, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Flowmaster Catback, 3.73's, and a BamaChips tune, so hopefully with a little bit of luck I can break into the 13's. I'll be bringing a helmet just in case.

I bring my car to NE dragway once in awhile. They check how well your battery is mounted down, the condition/tread of your tires. Im not sure what times your car is capable of, but a driveshaft loop is required on all 12 second cars. You probably wont break a driveshaft on your car, but its always better to let that sucker drag on the track then have it catapult you :). Install one. They are 30 bucks for weld in's. If you have an aluminum driveshaft, you need to make sure you get one for an aluminum driveshaft. If you have covered lugnuts, you need to remove the cover to have them exposed so the techs at the line can check to see if they are all on. You have an overflow for water already, and they check underneath for leaks. They will also check your helmet if you have a 13 second car. If you aren't into the 13's a helmet is not required. However I say if you are racing your car and its going 14.2's you should still wear a helmet if you are in that 100mph range. While you may drive well, the guy in the other lane might not be. Bring a helmet, and wear it! I am not sure of what helmet safety rating is required at NE Dragway, someone else might be able to help you on that one (website might have something). My motorcycle helmet passes, and that's what I wear.

Oh and if a guy with slicks starts rolling through the water pit, dont get behind him. :)

Below 13.99, a helmet is required. My track requires a helmet for everyone though, even the 18 second hondas running highway speeds in the quarter. :lol:

That's a very smart rule. I never understood how people could skimp on safety like that. Even if its some kid with a 72mph ****box, they should still be protected from the car in the other lane, and the water/oil dropped from a previous car.

I've made plenty of 18s passes at 75mph wearing a helmet in the 2.3 (it's come a long ways ;)). I do agree, it's just a good idea to wear a helmet and feels right on the track. Now that I'm used to wearing it at the track, I can't imagine not wearing it. You never know what will happen in the other lane, or even to your own car!

Yup, wear your helmet, have fun. The driveshaft loop isn't critical, it's only required on cars 13.99 with slicks. On street tires, they may want to see it at 12.99, but it varies by track. My track doesn't look for a driveshaft loop unless you are running slicks. I have one, just havn't gotten it installed yet...

So aside from the driveshaft loop, I'm good to go to the track as-is?

orlando speed world dragway's tech inspection involves...well, nothing. its an old school track that still looks like it did when they built in in 1966. i think the bleachers are that old even. the only rule they enforce is the 13.99 and faster for a helmet. if they catch you running faster than that, if they even care, they just tell you to back off or tap the brakes at the top end. track maintenance is real hit or miss (depends on who is working that night).

i wish they would do a better job at inspecting the cars because we have a lot of turds come out there that cause problems foreveryone else; smoking, leaking, poor and unsafe build quality and i have even seen spare missmatching doughnuts being used as skinnies on the front!

if you are going to race, you cant go wrong with a helmet and drive shaft safety loop no matter what time you run.

mine is a 5 speed also. also, i have been stuck at 13.7 for a while. but i couldnt get a good enough burnout done becuase i hate doing the "dump the clutch, mash the brake" thing. i installed a brake control (or line loc, depending on brand) and i should be able to get a good burnout in to get the tires sticky. im hoping i can get a good launch and hit a high 13.5.