going with 373s...how to get speedo working right!!

• Sponsors (?)

you needa new speedo gear, not worth putting in in my opinion, it can be a bitch, your speedo wont be off by much, i have 373s an its off by a few mph

well.. to get it closest you can, you will need a 23 tooth speedo gear. Only some performance shops sell it, or you can buy it from a Chrysler dealer... From my understanding it came out of a Jeep CJ-7 with a T-5. Although, the gear wears down over time, and may fail after a while, since the mesh of the oversized gear isn't perfect. The one in my car lasted over 5 years....

cb18201 said:
you needa new speedo gear, not worth putting in in my opinion, it can be a bitch, your speedo wont be off by much, i have 373s an its off by a few mph

How big of a percentage would you think the difference switching has made?
for example if your speedo says 70mph how fast are ya REALLY going?

I'm also considering this mod.

BlueOvalStangGT said:
is there any way to get it exact by switching the gear thats in the tranny? not sure what its called
Ideally you should switch both the drive gear (in tranny) and driven gear (outside tranny). But you still won't be exact. I got mine close, and then I set the speedo to read accurately at 60 mph.

Speedcal is probably the best option, but it's also the most expensive.

Dave

The perfect (for perfect mph) driver/driven gear ratio with 3.73's and 25.7" tire would be 0.342... With the stock 8 tooth internal gear, and 23 external gear you get a ratio of 0.348.. The closest ratio while switching internal gears to a 7 or 6 tooth would net you a 0.350 ratio, which means the 23 tooth is the best and closest... Just run the 23tooth and check it every few years for wear...

There are a lot of inaccuracies here...

Changing the speedo gear takes 30 seconds, why is it a waste of time :shrug:? And to get the speedo to read correctly, you need to change the trans gear, which costs 5 and some change from Ford. Using a GPS as a guide, my speedo is about 1 MPH off, after 50 MPH. I wouldn't drive around with the speedometer being off because it racks up unnecessary miles.

Joe

baseman said:
Instead of a gear, you could look into a SpeedCal ... http://www.dallasmustang.com/?p=9910

Do you have a speed cal? I was just looking at the website and it says 94-2000 one place and then says for 96-2000 in another, just wondering if it was compatible with our computer, i mean if u have one then it obviously is, but like those power-programmers that superchips and hypertech sell, they don't work on our 94-95's. Thanks for the info

95kobrah said:
Do you have a speed cal? I was just looking at the website and it says 94-2000 one place and then says for 96-2000 in another, just wondering if it was compatible with our computer, i mean if u have one then it obviously is, but like those power-programmers that superchips and hypertech sell, they don't work on our 94-95's. Thanks for the info

Actually, I'm planning on going with 3.73's for my 95 GT AODE, and this seems to be the most viable option for me. I've heard really good things about this device as far as getting within 1-2% accuracy.

baseman said:
Actually, I'm planning on going with 3.73's for my 95 GT AODE, and this seems to be the most viable option for me. I've heard really good things about this device as far as getting within 1-2% accuracy.

I just got 3.73's for christmas and ill be installing them in march, i have a 5spd, and if this speed cal works for the 94-95 mustangs, ill probably get it. anyone have it that can vouch for its worth? From the website:

SPEED-CAL,94-2003,5-SPD,94-98 AUTOMATICS

Fits Model Years: 1996 thru 2000

so i wonder which it is???

TheUser said:
On the 4.6's, I think that's possible, but I don't think the speedo has anything to do w/ the computer in the 5.0's, which is why you have to replace the gears. I could be wrong, however.
You are correct, the EEC does not control the speedo on a 94/95. It is, however, an electronic speedo, so you can use a speedcal on it.

Dave