Good Exhaust Sound W/ Stock Setup?

ryangruhn

Oct 5, 2000
Hey All!
Now that PA has passed the emissions inspection I have to change my plans for my exhaust. What I am wondering is how I can get a more throaty sound then what I have right now with out taking off the catalytic converters or the resonators. It now has stock headers, and is stock all the way back (cats and resonators) until the mufflers which are Flowmasters. Any ideas of how I can really make it loud?

Let Me Know!

Ryan

• Sponsors (?)

Check out pypesexhaust.com. They make an X-pipe with cats that can be removed and staight pipe put in their place. That way you can put the cats back in for inspection time.

If you don't want to change the midpipe, the only way to get louder would be to change the mufflers to maybe 1-chamber flows, Dynomax Race bullets, or Spintech Pro-streets. I had 1-chamber flows with the stock h-pipe and it sounded pretty good. It almost sounded as loud as my friend's cobra with offroad h-pipe and 2 chamber flows.

Chris6050 said:
Check out pypesexhaust.com. They make an X-pipe with cats that can be removed and staight pipe put in their place. That way you can put the cats back in for inspection time.

I LOVE THAT IDEA! My girl only has 50K on it right now and the stock pipes are still in good condition. Do you guys know of any streight pipe kits that can be put in place of the stock cats? I think that might be the way to go.

Let Me Know!

Ryan

I guess you answered that question too.

http://216.178.81.107/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=FOM8695X25 1?comp=ppe

Do you think replacing the cats with an x-pipe will make it A LOT louder? I also noticed that the factory x-pipe has the (what I think are) resonators up closer to the headers. Are these resonators? They look exactly like the converters so the factory x-pipe has four converter looking dohickies. Does it matter if I take those off also? I have heard that if you take them off it can sound like crap, but I am not sure if thats true.

Let Me Know!

Ryan

I going to get the magnaflow x-pipe with cats and the magnaflow cat back for my 90 lx hatch. I dont know how loud you are looking to get but i think they will be loud enough for me and should pass emmisions in md. I imagine it will free up a decent amount of hp also, better then the stock 4 converters.

As for loudness,
I want it to be as loud as I can make it with out it sounding like I am just running naked headers. I love it when a mustang is idoling and you can barly talk over it. Will the elimination of the stock x-pipe and installment of the new off-road x-pipe do that?

Ryan

Stock cats are a big sound restriction... if you already have flows, swapping to an X or H pipe without cats should make it fairly loud. The next step would be to get bigger headers, for a bigger grunt and a few horse power!

I agree, either get an off road H or X, or aftermarket 2 cat setup with headers. Your mufflers too can be a noise restriction, which flows do you have? Remember though, if you get pulled over for noise and they dont see any cats, thats a ticket so I advice getting a performance catted pipe with headers and maybe a more aggressive muffler. Besides you dont want to kill the environment.