Good low cost paint gun

Jester67

Sep 21, 2004
TN
I am looking for a good low cost paint gun to spray Eastwoods rust encapsulater and extreme chassis black and would like to get some recommendations. I will not be using this for body paint just the undercarriage and wheel whale etc

• Sponsors (?)

Get one of the HVLP guns, well if that type gun will work with the encapsulater. They have a lot less overspray than the high pressure guns. You can get one like I did from Home Depot for like 75. I used mine to paint my stang with no problems.

Find out what tip size is recommended for the product you are going to spray--then buy a gun with the appropriate tip size. Too small and you will be forever spraying with poor results. Too large and you will waste product/run it.

The recommended tip size recommendations will likely be different for a gravity HVLP versus a siphon HVLP.

Harbor Freight has an HVLP paintgun on sale now for $49.99 that a lot of painters recommend for paintiing cars. The model # is 43430 and it comes with a regulator. I bought one awhile back but haven't tried it out yet. The only drawback to an HVLP gun is that it takes a lot of air to run. You'll probably need a compressor that puts out at least 10 scfm to use it.

danny clemens said:
Harbor Freight has an HVLP paintgun on sale now for $49.99 that a lot of painters recommend for paintiing cars. The model # is 43430 and it comes with a regulator. I bought me one awhile back but haven't tried it out yet. The only drawback to an HVLP gun is that it takes a lot of air to run. You'll probably need a compressor that puts out at least 10 scfm to use it.
i wouldnt spray my car with a 49 dollar gun except for the undercarraige my spray gun came off of ebay i got it for a steal it was brand new sata for 300$

I bought a Devilbiss Finishline 3 off ebay a while back for a little over $100. Before you decide that's too much, consider that you can buy parts for Devilbiss guns anywhere. Also, I shot every single part of my paint job from thick epoxy primer to sealer to base to clear by just switching tips. Some brands of guns require tips and needles to be used as a set, but Devilbiss uses the same needle for all tips. I highly recommend at least looking at one.

Man, I'd check to see what tip is needed to spray then check Harbor Freight or some other cheap tool place. I imagine that stuff is like POR 15 and tought to clean up after. I'd just get a cheap paint gun ($20) and toss it after you're done.

danny clemens said:
Harbor Freight has an HVLP paintgun on sale now for $49.99 that a lot of painters recommend for paintiing cars. The model # is 43430 and it comes with a regulator. I bought me one awhile back but haven't tried it out yet. The only drawback to an HVLP gun is that it takes a lot of air to run. You'll probably need a compressor that puts out at least 10 scfm to use it.

The 43430 comes with a 1.4 mm tip which seems to be one of the more common tip size for single stage, base, and clears coats. They do make bigger tips for this gun 1.7 mm, 1.9 mm, and 2.1 mm for thicker stuff, but will have to be ordered through their warehouse (1-800-444-3353). They cost $29.57 each.

I just sprayed unthinned POR-15 through a DeVilbiss HVLP SRI touch-up gun (1.0 mm tip). This went on my Toploader with good results.