Good or bad idea?

FourEyed85

Nov 17, 2005
Ligas, Az
my brother has a 2002 GT with diablo predator programmer, steeda underdrive pulleys, mac 3" cold air intake, and American Thunder Super 40 Series Mufflers. He was thinking of taking off the Flows and just putting straight pipe to make it louder. Im not sure if this is a good idea or not so im asking you guys. Will it make it sound deeper and better, or just sound nasty as hell?

• Sponsors (?)

Bad idea. He'll lose enough low end torque to kick himself in the butt every time he steps on it.

Tell him to swap midpipes if he wants louder.

I will have to agree against you guys sayin no mufflers sounds horrible. I put a straight pipe on mine and the compliments are still rolling in when people hear me. I did lose power but at that stage i was running low on cash so i went the $90 route and got all i could with 2 pipes and 2 tips. i dont recommend it losing power but it sounds great.

mineralgray2002 said:
I will have to agree against you guys sayin no mufflers sounds horrible. I put a straight pipe on mine and the compliments are still rolling in when people hear me. I did lose power but at that stage i was running low on cash so i went the $90 route and got all i could with 2 pipes and 2 tips. i dont recommend it losing power but it sounds great.

well my brother didnt take my advice not to cut the mufflers off. But I gotta garee with mineralgray2002 it does sound alright. well for sure it's loud now, yea he did lose a just a little power but it seems like it picks up a little quicker up top. who knows... i guess i like the way it sounds. :shrug:

Here's the basic difference.. granted the 5.0 & 4.6 have very different tones anyway, but the midpipe swap makes the muscle car sound.. the no mufflers just makes it a little louder. The recording of my 5.0 was done a little hastily so the quality isn't that of the 4.6, but you get the difference.

My 5.0 with the stock midpipe, and no mufflers:

http://www.sgarlic.com/sounds/88nomuffs.mp3

My 4.6 with o/r midpipe and flowmaster mufflers:

http://www.sgarlic.com/sounds/mac-flows.mp3

My car came like that. I love the sound.

blackcar_012.jpg