Got an Edelbrock 600; What Else Will I Need?

WarrenC

Jun 4, 2004
OK, I decided on an Edelbrock 600cfm for my 67 GTA with a 289. Mostly because I could get one about $75 cheaper than a 500cfm.
I'm sure it will bolt right on, but what am I in for when it comes to linkage and kick down? Also, how about hooking up the electric choke and will my stock air cleaner work or should I pick up an aftermarket?

• Sponsors (?)

I went ahead and ordered up a set of step up springs for the hell of it. Pick up a set of Torx bits, as the wire they send ya to ground out the choke is only really long to be grounded on the carb...and all the fasteners are conviently torx bits (will need it to adjust the choke too)...bah, except for the two metering rod cover screws...you can put a socket on those. I had some clearence issues with some hosing rubbing the secondary linkage, definitly check that. If you decide to put the Ford throttle linkage on they offer (pepboys stocks it here, along with other edelbrock odds&ends) check your clearence to your valve covers. I have about 1-2mm space between the two. Don't know what carb you're currently running, but the fuel inlet is on the back left...make sure you have enough hose...I just joined two together with an inline filter. Same with the hose length for the tranny as well.

-Frank

OK, I have the carb now and compared it to my 4300. Looks like the linkage would probably work with the stock edelbrock linkage if it had another hole in it. Do I need to buy the Ford linkage? Mine is a rod, not a cable and looks somewhat adjustable.
Anyone done this before on a 289? I'm not sure if the 302 is exactly the same.

I installed the carb today. Went much easier than I thought it would! I threaded my stock linkage and put a nut on it to secure it, other than that it hooked right up. Only real issue is the bracket that holds the A/C compressor to the manifold; no clearance for the new carb and linkage. I temporarily (or perhaps permanantly) took it off. I'll have to see if I can modify it, although it seems to be pretty well secured to the front of the motor already.
Anyone run into THAT problem?
Oh, by the way---it runs MUCH better right out of the box! I haven't even tried to adust the air fuel screws yet, but it runs much smoother and feels way more responsive. So far a very good upgrade!!