Got my intake today (Saleen/Vortech)

Just wondering what these ports are used for on the side of the intake. In the picture below that I got from Vortech's website, it looks like some type of rail is mounted there. Is it some type of cooler or what?
Here's the plugged ports on mine. Don't mind the crappy finish on the intake, i'm in the process of smoothing it.
P1200001.jpg

Here's one with the blower. Sorry the pic's not bigger.
untitled-1.jpg

Attachments

• P1200001.jpg
    P1200001.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 136
  • untitled-1.jpg
    untitled-1.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Sponsors (?)

They may have been used for stuff like nitrous or injectors by various folks, but what I think they actually are, are like freeze plugs. They used to wholes to get all of the abrasive media out of the intake during manufacture.

They may have been used for stuff like nitrous or injectors by various folks, but what I think they actually are, are like freeze plugs. They used to wholes to get all of the abrasive media out of the intake during manufacture.

Yes I think you're right. Or there used somehow in the casting process to get the inside runner shape.

/\ I see you figured it out. Your intake looks awesome :nice:

There are also 3 threaded screw holes that must be used to mount whatever that rail is. I also thought they might have been used at the manufacturer for something, but you would think they would just make a big opening with a plate or something like Edelbrock. These holes seem way too small to get in there and do anything, and there's one for each port, making me think it's some type of injectors, whether fuel, nitrous, or some type of cooling for the supercharger.

The casting process doesnt require tools to make the port shape so no tooling needs to get inside those small plugged holes. Casting is hot metal poured into a sand mold and if theres no where for the air to escape you wont get a good mold. So those holes may be there to release the air as the metal is being poured into the mold.

Those holes are there for fuel injectors. Back when these intakes came out guys were using these holes for nitrous and also blown applications to richen up the mixture. My vortec intake is the same as the one pictured above, has all the same bosses but they were not drilled.

I would polish that intake, It has lots of flat spots without many fins so I dont think it would be that hard to do. Plus it would look sick all smooth and shiny just like the one posted above.

A nice glossy black powder-coat would look awesome too. It was just today that I saw pics someplace of somone else that had done that to a different intake. It looked sharp as hell.

Wish I could remember where I'd seen it.