Got Predator! Need tune please!

bobbys9350

Mar 30, 2005
HEY! we just got the predator tuner for out 05 GT. i hooked it up and then set it to the 91 octane tune. I then left it alone and did not play with the parameters. when i took it out i got it up around 4500RPM and it started making a tinny pinging sound. It might be detenation? anyways, Could u guys give me a list of what to set all the stuff too? im running 93 octane. THANKS!

• Sponsors (?)

bobbys9350 said:
HEY! we just got the predator tuner for out 05 GT. i hooked it up and then set it to the 91 octane tune. I then left it alone and did not play with the parameters. when i took it out i got it up around 4500RPM and it started making a tinny pinging sound. It might be detenation? anyways, Could u guys give me a list of what to set all the stuff too? im running 93 octane. THANKS!
Did you maybe get a predator that was supposed to be matched to a CAI? If so, and you don't have a CAI, maybe that could be a problem.. My Predator 91 tune and C & L CAI did great right out of the box with no problems. I even advanced global timing 1 degree with no pinging.---John

I dont think i got one for a CAI? so is global timing overall timing? i just put inj 93 octane and did a tune for 91 octane and let the rest alone. now im getting pinging up around 4500. I think its detonation! I really dont know what to do man. i dont want to mess with it and hurt something :(

Hey Bobby,

http://www.diablosport.com/U7140.php

Ask the pros! i have heard that they are very helpful. You would have needed to adjust the timing as well.

Here is a part of your issue. TDC (Top Dead Center) on the factory timing specification is set for 87 octane. You have now programmed the EEC/PCM/EEV-V to think that TDC is set for 93 octane. You have now fundamentally altered your timing by 6 degrees past TDC. You also told the computer that fire will occur with 91 octane, but are running 93.

So, in a handbasket, you have misinformed the computers, which are also running a version of VTEC (Variable timing Electronic Control) cams that the firing of the valves will occur when they are in fact not.

I would suggest that you park that bad boy and wait until you get a reply from someone here or from DiabloSport.

Good Luck my Friend. I know you are Schitzing your pants, but just breath. This can be resolved fairly easily.

From the Website's FAQs:
Predator: Can the Predator damage my transmission or engine?
No. Through extensive research and sophisticated testing the Predator tunes are designed not to harm your engine or transmission. The adjustable parameters for fuel and timing can damage your engine if adjusted improperly, that is why we highly recommend that these parameters only be adjusted when proper monitoring tools are present. Neglecting to use premium fuel (unless specified) can cause severe damage to your engine.

Jennifer

OK, i went to radio shack and got the power supply, serial cable, an adapter to go from serial to USB ( cost me $75 [:mad:] )
So now i can hook it to my PC. i went to diablosports site and download what i thought i needed to view the stuff from the predator onto my PC. when i open it up it says comsetup failed? and nothing works right and i cannot upload a tune onto my PC. WHAT THE HEK DO I DO!?!?!?!!?!?! can someoen give me a link to what i need to do? PLEASE! any help at all! THANKS A LOT!

bobbys9350 said:
OK, i went to radio shack and got the power supply, serial cable, an adapter to go from serial to USB ( cost me $75 [:mad:] )
So now i can hook it to my PC. i went to diablosports site and download what i thought i needed to view the stuff from the predator onto my PC. when i open it up it says comsetup failed? and nothing works right and i cannot upload a tune onto my PC. WHAT THE HEK DO I DO!?!?!?!!?!?! can someoen give me a link to what i need to do? PLEASE! any help at all! THANKS A LOT!

Bobby,

I agree with Makoto here. In regards to your Com set-up failure. Based on what you have just said the computer is trying to share the same com port with another device. Your serial cable is conflicting with something else. In Windows 2000/XP - Go to Control Panel - Add Hardware - and Run the hardware Wizard. It should tell you what is conflicting with the Com Port set-up - OR - Control Panel - System - Hardware and Device Manager - Look for the COM/LPT port. If you do not see a Yellow Circle with a line through it over the beginning of the port description then go to the upper tool bar, click on the question mark help icon and click on one of the ports. The help menu will walk you through a hardware debugging process.

Here is my concern though. You now have a jacked car and the last thing you need is a jacked computer.

This is about as comfortable as I feel not being able to be at your locale to help. Unless you have Windows XP and can send a remote assistance invitation to me via email, I can't see what is up. :shrug:

Good Luck my Friend..and BREATH....

Jennifer

Please call the DiabloSport technical service department and ask for Cole Stevens (561)908-0040. He can walk you through the process of downloading the needed software and calibrations to your PC and flash programmer.

For those interested, DiabloSport offers the PC interface kit #U7777, already assembled. It does not come with the USB/Serial interface for laptops.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
DiabloSport Sales Manager
[email protected]

NickDiabloSport said:
Please call the DiabloSport technical service department and ask for Cole Stevens (561)908-0040. He can walk you through the process of downloading the needed software and calibrations to your PC and flash programmer.

For those interested, DiabloSport offers the PC interface kit #U7777, already assembled. It does not come with the USB/Serial interface for laptops.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
[email protected]

THANK YOU NICK!!!!!! :flag:

Jennifer

Tune

injectedracing said:
Jennifer,
If you need further assistance, dont hesitate to call us. Im sure diablo can help you though. We have tuned several 05 GT's
Dave at Injected Racing tuned my 05 Gt Vert and we picked up 8 hp over 91 Predator Tune. He does good work if you are in the SW Missouri area.

There is nothing better then a custom dyno tune to improve your vehicles power and insure the safest possible calibration. Every vehicle is different, variables like the type of fuel you have access to; atmosphere and altitude can all make a vehicle unique. Monitoring A/F live on the dyno can really bring it all together. The added HP is not guaranteed, our calibrations are strong, but that’s why we have a nationwide network of CMR custom dyno tuning dealers, like our friends at Injected Racing, to offer support to customers looking for that little extra, and our programmer with its five custom tune capability.

DiabloSport has studied the 05 GT carefully, naturally aspirated, supercharged and with nitros oxide, as our association with almost all the supercharger manufacturers, and our track times with JPC in MMFF clearly shows. We test many vehicles and make what we feel is the best all around calibration for all conditions.

DiabloSport offers a pre-programmed “stand alone” flash tool. You don’t need a custom tune if you feel that it’s not right for your vehicle. End user adjustability, real time data monitoring and logging allows you to share information with DiabloSport or CMR tuners to make decisions on what may be right for each application. Advanced diagnostic capability, with simple text explanations, allows for a look at everything going on in the event you need it.

NO need for a laptop to use any of these great features. Free downloadable updates to enhance Predator features or software for the monitoring and logging process on a PC.
Even the basics like having a back lit screen make DiabloSport Predator a real value when compared to the competition.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
[email protected]

injectedracing said:
Jennifer,
If you need further assistance, dont hesitate to call us. Im sure diablo can help you though. We have tuned several 05 GT's

Thank you much. If am ever in need of a tune I will remember this. I am but a lowly 3rd time Stang owner, but have a V-6 this time around.

I was simply trying to help out bobby, before he made a serious error with his car. I suggested contacting Diablo from the get-go. I cannot agree with Nick from Diablo more. Unless you know what you are doing with the modulation aspects of the vehicle, it is best left to the Pros.

My compliments to Nick from Diablo and injectedracing for hitting the forums and directing those who need the help! Customer Service Excellence! :nice:

Jennifer

DiabloSport will be releasing the 2005 V6 flash programmer soon, and we have seen some good results to this point on the dyno. We have a few more CALID to address and some drivability tests to run, but it should not be much longer and the V6 crowd will be set with all the same great features and performance, relative to the vehicle, Mustang GT owners enjoy.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
[email protected]

NickDiabloSport said:
DiabloSport will be releasing the 2005 V6 flash programmer soon, and we have seen some good results to this point on the dyno. We have a few more CALID to address and some drivability tests to run, but it should not be much longer and the V6 crowd will be set with all the same great features and performance, relative to the vehicle, Mustang GT owners enjoy.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
[email protected]

Nick,

DiaboSport is Da' BomB! For far too long has the V-6 platform been ignored and subjugated to the title of the 'The Secretaries Mustang'. It is nice to see a performance company noting a long ignored demographic in the aftermarket performance arena. Again, my utmost respectful thanks for advanced acknowledgement to the V-6 crowd. Based on the sales I have seen on the 6 this year and the strong desire to modify the 4.0L to a new level of performance, Diablo will recoupe the R&D on this product and be bound to make staggering sales!

Let us know in advance (in the V-6 tech area) when this will be available and the 6-crew will be knocking on your door! :nice: OH YEAH! IF YOU NEED A TEST VEHICLE OUT HERE IN CALI., YOU KNOW WHERE TO FIND ME. :p

Jennifer

NickDiabloSport said:
DiabloSport has studied the 05 GT carefully, naturally aspirated, supercharged and with nitros oxide, as our association with almost all the supercharger manufacturers, and our track times with JPC in MMFF clearly shows. We test many vehicles and make what we feel is the best all around calibration for all conditions.

If this is the case, why are you guys having so many off the shelf issues like the one this person is having?

The issues the customer is experiencing, I assume your not talking about his PC but the need to make tune changes, are related to conditions. It is extremely hot this year and the fuel in some areas are less then desirable. Heat is generally not an issue for us because we test in Florida, and temperature is always in the high range for us, but with California fuels, and not knowing what brands are available to the customer, you can run into this type of stuff.

The advantage of using Predator in this situation is the ability to make tune changes to insure safety and performance, and when the heat subsides you can go back and recalibrate accordingly. No need for special “tuner” packages, or a laptop. If you’re not confident in your ability to make the needed changes you can visit, or e-mail, any one of a nationwide network of CMR custom tuning dealers to exchange calibrations or data.

We would love to make a tune that is perfect for all conditions or every situation out there.

What we can do is offer a stand alone programmer that gives the end user all the tools, data monitoring and logging, adjustability and use of 5 custom tunes, to make the vehicle run to its potential, given the conditions.

Features that for the about the same price, product "X" requires additonal software, a laptop PC, and a dealer just to get a base start up tune.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
[email protected]