Got Suspension?

HAHA

Told you I'd be wrong.....
"great massive understeer setup :nice: especially the swaybars and huge rubber in the back" compliments of my good friend and all knowing tomustang. How funny is it that I make a comment that you never say anything positive towards me and the next thing you say to me is negative. Thanks for proving me right.:rlaugh:

As far as my car goes you don't know a thing about it or how it drives. I will give you credit though, it will understeer..(good guess)..at it's limit. It is suttle, very easy to control and with my set up also adjustable. And you know what else? That limit is tenfold what it used to be. By the time my car starts to do it I am all ready ear to ear grins from the speed and G's I am enjoying. I drove my car thru all the changes I made to it. I know what the difference was between each one. I know that it handled for crap stock and now it is glued to the pavement. It cracks me up that I say the swaybars made the best improvement and you say the swaybars made it worse. Well I drove the car before and after the swaybars. I felt the difference.

I make opinions on what I may or may not know and what I may or may not like. Just like I made suggestions on this thread towards suspension improvements...BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE. Who are you to tell me for a fact what MY cars does when YOU have never even been in or around it? I really would like to know. Please enlighten me.

A person asks for suspension advice and your whole response is "IRS. you don't want to fawk around on the street with a stiffer live axle" That's your whole answer. Great advice. Just throw one of those under there and ALLLLLLLLL will be solved. Give me a break. You said in another post I type too much. Well you type too little and I have never seen your "advice" be helpful whatsoever. I have found it to be rude, sarcastic and arrogant though. And also less than the best.

Yeah I am cross threading again too by the way there tom. Appreciate that.

• Sponsors (?)

tomustang said:
IRS comes down to using stiffer spring rates in the back over a live axle, due to havin free movement of each wheel in the rear :nice:

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/

So would you agree with lgndracer that lower control arms, a panhard bar, and torque arm would give me the performance that I'm looking for instead of getting an MM kit?

For the record, I'll probably still get either of the MM kits in the future, just trying to spend my money in the right place(s) for now.

Thanks!

-J

First off, I'll move this to tech since it's not talk.

Second, here's my experience with suspension:

Installed the Bullitt kit, sans swaybars, because it was cheap. Also put in the MM non-adjustable LCA's in the rear. Car felt great going in a straight line and the rear "sits" on take off but there was still some body roll. To summarize, you get what you pay for. Basically Tokiko heavy duty shock/struts and progressive rate springs (I believe). Handled "OK" for what I paid for it (like 350ish). Installed it myself with a friend.

Decided to upgrade when one shock went bad. Bought the MM coilover kit, which handled great but produced a terrible noise in the rear which would not go away. Installer assembled and disassembled the rear 3 times, but the problem was most likely the delrin bushing that goes on the top of the assembly rubbing against the top of the tower.

Removed those and installed the "sport kit" I believe (MM CC plates, Bilsteins F/R, and H&R supersports) and the MM PHB in the rear. LCA's still in place. Drop is perfect, even front to rear, and handles like a totally different car. Only thing left to do is the TA and I'm done.

If you call places like MM, they will tell you this:

Usually the first thing they recommend is to install a PHB in the rear with a good set of LCA's. You can remove the quad shocks if you use a high quality pair of LCA's such as theirs. They then recommend springs, shocks/struts and CC plates (depending on the drop). Finally, the TA.

They do not recommend (unless you are a roadracer) changing the swaybars or adding UCA's.

Figure out what you want to do, then give their tech line a call. They are very helpful and patient in listening to your goals and providing a solution.

Hope this helps.

tomustang said:
great massive understeer setup :nice: especially the swaybars and huge rubber in the back
He's right....

cvgtpony03 said:
A person asks for suspension advice and your whole response is "IRS. you don't want to fawk around on the street with a stiffer live axle" That's your whole answer. Great advice.
....they're both right.

I agree with san~man's answer the most. However, the best thing that you can do is research for yourself (search button). I always check for reactions, both good and bad, from multiple sources when I am considering a new setup. Check out that link tomustang threw in; it's a good starting point to learn why your Mustang handles poorly and possible fixes to its problems. I hope you find a setup that you like.

cvgtpony03 said:
compliments of my good friend and all knowing tomustang. How funny is it that I make a comment that you never say anything positive towards me and the next thing you say to me is negative. Thanks for proving me right.:rlaugh:
When you stop whining and say something right I will say something positive.

cvgtpony03 said:
As far as my car goes you don't know a thing about it or how it drives. I will give you credit though, it will understeer..(good guess)

There is no guess, learn some suspension geometry.

cvgtpony03 said:
I make opinions on what I may or may not know and what I may or may not like. Just like I made suggestions on this thread towards suspension improvements...BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE. Who are you to tell me for a fact what MY cars does when YOU have never even been in or around it? I really would like to know. Please enlighten me.
Same reason why bdcardinal and squares98 know.

cvgtpony03 said:
A person asks for suspension advice and your whole response is "IRS. you don't want to fawk around on the street with a stiffer live axle" That's your whole answer. Great advice. Just throw one of those under there and ALLLLLLLLL will be solved. Give me a break. You said in another post I type too much. Well you type too little and I have never seen your "advice" be helpful whatsoever. I have found it to be rude, sarcastic and arrogant though. And also less than the best.

Then leave, take your whining ass out of here because all you've been doing in threads is bitching and start chit with multiple members because you appear to have low self esteem when your wrong. Suck it up, I don't think your a baby, but damn you act like one.

cvgtpony03 said:
Yeah I am cross threading again too by the way there tom. Appreciate that.
Grow up. :lock:

Thundermouse said:
....they're both right.
Ne, he's not right. First thing you should consider when on the street messing around a long road with twisty turns is an IRS. I put that into first consideration. I am not the only one here that knows about suspension setups, others can answer to in which I don't need to repeat the same thing in a thread

all i can say is that i am so happy with my setup. it cost about $8,000 for everything but it was worth it in every way. the ride is rough ya, but the handling is awesome. also being able to adjust my ride height is great for a dual purpose car.

also my setup isnt finished, im planning on doing a K-member, tubular LCAs and torque arm. also i havent even started the motor yet.

Upgrade your tires!

I've been been on the dragon. Its a blast! :D I went right after I got my BFG G-Force TA KD's. I had done the suspension work about a year before that. I must say that the tires made just as much difference as the suspension stuff did. BTW. I'm comparing my stock Goodyears to the BFG's.

I was able to pull away from my buddy on his Kawasaki Concours. True its not a sport bike but it isn't a cruiser either, I guess thats why its calssified as a sports tourer.

I think that stretch of road is as much fun as any autox I've ever done.

this thread has gotten way off track.

he has 800-1200 to work with and needs his car to handle and people are debating IRS, sway bars, etc. he needs none of those on his budget.

I would honestly call MM. but subframes, shocks and stuts, some form of rear axel location are going to be a must at minimum. I guaranty they won't mention anything to do with IRS.

hognutz said:
he has 800-1200 to work with and needs his car to handle and people are debating IRS, sway bars, etc. he needs none of those on his budget.

:shrug:
I paid less than $400 for my IRS swap, the 04 cobra owner wanted my solid axle and I wanted his IRS we traded even and split the labor cost. This is very common in my area.

dew22 said:
:shrug:
I paid less than $400 for my IRS swap, the 04 cobra owner wanted my solid axle and I wanted his IRS we traded even and split the labor cost. This is very common in my area.

funny if you read the thread he states that he want to keep is solid axel he just want it to handle better. hence I said the thread was off track.

I am not trying to be a dickhead either so don't take this personally. I was just trying to point out the thread was off track.

Quick,

If I were you I'd go with the MM starter box, there is a reason they call it the "starter box" it's a great place to start. MM knows their stuff.

Question

How are your tires and brakes? If your tires are shot and or this run is tough on brakes all the suspension parts in the world won't help much.

hognutz said:
funny if you read the thread he states that he want to keep is solid axel he just want it to handle better. hence I said the thread was off track..

I know. I was just pointing out that in some cases it's not as pricey as people think. I think for someone wanting a well rounded Mustang it's a great mod, one of the best IMO.

hognutz said:
I am not trying to be a dickhead either so don't take this personally. I was just trying to point out the thread was off track.

No problem man I'm not the sensitive type :D

dew22 said:
Quick,

If I were you I'd go with the MM starter box, there is a reason they call it the "starter box" it's a great place to start. MM knows their stuff.

Question

How are your tires and brakes? If your tires are shot and or this run is tough on brakes all the suspension parts in the world won't help much.

Good call, I'm just trying to keep my options open. I figured the Bullitt springs/shocks/struts would be good enough and I'd just upgrade other areas but from what you guys are saying, I may have to reconsider that as well. :bang:

Tires are being replaced soon just bc it's time for some new ones and brakes on the car are okay. I have an extra set of front pads from my old GT that I never got a chance to use so I'll probably change them out just to be on the safe side.

-J

I would not say that for sure. I would literally call MM.

I would not do the starter box out of the gate it does not fix the chassis flex issues and those really hurt the handling.

I really feal that subframes, and rear control arms on the bullit suspention could possibly outhanlde the starterbox just do to the rear of the car not sliding all over the place. I think I would do shocks and struts as well though. it is in your budget.

the subframes and control arms on my car gave the rear fo the car stabilty and inspires some confidence wile driving. with just shocks, stuts, cc plates it handled better but I would still slide the rear out at will.