Grind when letting clutch out after shift

Mustangsupra

Oct 6, 2006
Title says it all. There is a really bad grind when letting the clutch out after shifting. It also doesnt seem to want to go into fourth or fifth gear(maybe i am not used to short shifter). My friend thinks its the pressure plate(?). Once it is in gear it hauls ass with no slippage, but does kinda sound to me like something is rattling around in the tranny(maybe my imagination). If you let the clutch out real slowly it does not grind, but if you let the clutch out fast it grinds really badly.

any input would be great

thanks

jeremy

• Sponsors (?)

Is it the transmission grinding or the clutch grinding? Will it grind if you cycle the clutch at idle?

I would suspect the TOB is busted and the release lever is grinding on the input shaft. :shrug:

Sounds like its comming from the tranny maybe. You can feel the vibrations through the shifter, shifter actually shakes a lot (it popped out of gear once or twice). and what do you mean by "cycle the clutch"?

thanks

jeremy

i always thought that if the syncros were bad it would grind going into gear. This grinds after it is in gear and you are letting the clutch out. Maybe i am completely wrong, i dont know.

Anyone else think it is the throw out bearing?

Anyone think its the pressure plate?

thanks

jeremy

well with my probe it wouldn't like to go in to gear... id miss 3rd at the track all the time... and here and there it would grind when i let off the clutch... then one day 3rd gear just decided it didnt want to be there any more... and i guess what ever broke off 3rd got stuck in my reverse because it would go in to reverse just move 5 feet and BANG!!!! and more another 5 feet and BANG!!!!! lol... limped it 70 miles with out 3rd... lots of fun... just dont want someone else stuck in the same situation... no im not to sure its just a sugestion...

nope, i could be going 2 mph shift into 2nd give it no gas at all and let out on the clutch and it grinds

thanks for the info though, i still dont know what to do...i was thinking about having the pressure plate and clutch replaced, but if it is the TOB or syncros......

jeremy

car is not being driven, this unfortunatly is not the only problem i am having.....

so if i have the clutch and pressure plate replaced they will replace the TOB? (this is going to be done at pep boys, cheapest place in town, i think)

my buddy had pep boys do it to his fox with no problems, so hopefully they dont **** mine up......

i want this done quickly or else i would do it myself.....the major problem i see with taking it to pepboys is i dont know if it will get on the lift. It is about 2-3 inches off the ground.

jeremy

Pep Boys!:nice: Yeah, clutch kits include, Throw Out Bearing, Clutch, and Pressure Plate... Pepboys also resurafaces the flywheel.... it that makes a difference

Otherwise, when the TOB broke in my 0ld 95, it was 10.00 @ Kragen:D

Hey- what ever happened to your previous SN, "Anti-Rains?"

BTW, we need to do the timing on that piece... actually do it, not just "guess" LOL

yeah because it runs like **** and wont idle with any accesories on....tommorrow i am going to flush the coolant and put that headgasket stuff in there, then change the spark plugs and oil.....

i was thinking about dropping the tranny....but i dont know

how long did it take you to do it abel?

jeremy