gt 40 head and lower manifold

black945.0

Dec 21, 2004
hey guys i am buying a set of gt40s of a 97 explorer i was just wondering if the lower intake manifold dropped rite in or if any one has any combos to match the flow of these heads with an e 303

• Sponsors (?)

It will drop in fine. Back when I was running my gt40s unported I also ran a Tmoss stock lower and the ports were perfect for the gt40 intake ports. The car ran real well with that setup as well.

Running with the gt40 heads will make the stock lower intake the bottleneck in the system.

An Edelbrock Performer (or Performer RPM) will outflow a GT40 style intake on nearly every application with aftermarket heads and a cam. It also allows for some room to keep modding because it will support a lot more horsepower than a GT40 style intake, which are good only to about 400hp without porting (again, under most circumstances, I know it can make more than 400 so don't say I am crazy people with cobra, gt40, explorer intakes). TMoss I believe is a member on stangnet that does porting work on stock lower intakes. You send him your intake, he ports it and sends it back to you. Hope this helps.

what i mean is will the edelbrocks cause any restriction sitting on gt40 i all ready have the gt40 i need new upper and lower intakes i cant use the stock any more i want the performer will they fit together ok

The GT40 heads flow ~190-200cfm. The stock GT40/Cobra/Explorers flow ~205-210cfm. The Performer flows ~210-220cfm, not a huge difference. Both need some port work on the lower to keep up with a 250(+)cfm head. Buy whichever you find cheaper.