GT40 upper question

Decurion

Sep 28, 2006
Livonia, MI
I plan to inject my 65 Comet here in the near future and would like to use the gt40 manifold. My question is which one should I use? From what I can see there are 2 different manifolds for a total of 3 different inlet combinations. First is the regular gt40 manifold with the throttle body facing the fender, second is the same manifold with the explorer 90* inlet so that the TB faces forward, or the third is the 94-5 Cobra with the TB at a 30* or so bend cast into it. I know all 3 will physically work, but Ive seen a couple Mustangs with the 'standard' side entry TB and the inlet tube pretty much runs right into the shock before making a bend forward to the filter. I think the Cobra or Explorer would work better, but isnt the Cobra upper a bit shorter or something? Does the Explorer bend even make enough of a restriction to worry about with mildly ported f3ze heads?

• Sponsors (?)

The Cobra is the longest (widest). Meaning the EGR is part of the manifold, not a seperate piece. The Explorer and GT40 are the same width as the stock and are/were intended to use the EGR spacer. I am using an Explorer in my '65 Mustang with a Pro M flow tube. It wouldn't fit if the stock EGR spacer was in place. I made my own out of 20mm aluminum to carry the throttle cable bracket.

Have some pictures here: http://forums.corral.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=102130

There is a guy on VM that used the Cobra in a '65. Phil (Hoosier Buddy) I think. He had some issues with shock tower clearance.

Are the Comet towers any further apart than the Mustang?

BTW, when did you sell your Falcon wagon? There was a car show here at PDC (Ford) on Friday and I believe your ex car was here. Attracted lots of attention.

65 Comet/Falcon frame rails are about 1" narrower than 65 Mustang. I sold my Falcon about a week and a half ago, but the guy that bought it lives in Westland so Im sure it was my old car you saw. I really miss the attention that car attracted, not to mention the satisfaction I got every time I drove it. :( ...BTW, whats 'PDC'? Ill ask over on VMF, some good guys there too, plus I havent been there in a while. The more I think about it, Ill probably just use the standard setup and get/make an EGR eliminator.

EDIT: Who made your export brace? I just bought one from Delta Bay Mustang that looks like a regular stamped export brace, but its actually custom made to fit around an EFI intake on a Falcon. I cant stand those heim joint things, and I just cant believe they actually work as well either.

Eric,

The Falcon had a tan interior with blue cam lock lap belts up front. Sorry, I put the parenthesis in the wrong spot. PDC=Product Development Center. Across the street from Greenfield Village.

The export brace came from Laurel Mountain. It's a knock off of the Maier Racing brace (just a lot less expensive).