GT500 anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

BurningRubber said:
For 50k they should sell you the GT-500 and Kelly Clarkson...:D

When I was looking on ebay for a general idea of what they were gonna sell for, most were 60k+, which IMO is just rediculous. Sure I would fork out 35+ if I could afford it, but that car is not worth 60k.

so Ford condones street racing now, but wont fix my 3650 because I occasionally race at the track... BS! (And no I didn't tell them I race, some ass hatt ((not the cool kind either)) told me that my posts on some website prove I race at the track).

Dragstr05 said:
When I was looking on ebay for a general idea of what they were gonna sell for, most were 60k+, which IMO is just rediculous. Sure I would fork out 35+ if I could afford it, but that car is not worth 60k.

Agreed. I dont think Ford will ever sell a hi-po Mustang with such sucess as the 03/04 Cobra's. You could walk in and buy one for 35k at some dealers, and have probaly one of the best bang for the buck cars made in a very long time.

That was Fords best sales move in a long time IMO.

tjmaxx said:
I like the commercial except they kinda dissed the old gt500 by making it loose but what ever that is what would happen.
I actually though they didn't make it lose bad enough. We're talking a low-14 second original, that was gross rated at 355hp against a mid/low-12 second car making 500hp at the flywheel (and about 10-15% more if it were rated by the same gross specs the original was) here.

The difference between the two of them should be like a GT vs. a V6 by sheer power comparison.

Gearbanger 101 said:
I actually though they didn't make it lose bad enough. We're talking a low-14 second original, that was gross rated at 355hp against a mid/low-12 second car making 500hp at the flywheel (and about 10-15% more if it were rated by the same gross specs the original was) here.

The difference between the two of them should be like a GT vs. a V6 by sheer power comparison.

Yeah but you're supposed to pay attention to the chick, not the car... Ford is stupid. The Shelby will kick ass WHEN we get our hands on it and put that pig on a diet and give it some good mods. I doubt it will be as popular(with us) as the 03/04 snakes, but at the same time it might just outsell them just because of the Shelby name.

Gearbanger 101 said:

O yeah I totally agree but I think it would have been better if it was killing something else like a Chevy or something, lol.

myponyrocks said:
The Shelby will kick ass WHEN we get our hands on it and put that pig on a diet and give it some good mods. I doubt it will be as popular(with us) as the 03/04 snakes, but at the same time it might just outsell them just because of the Shelby name.
Unfortunately, the only ones who’ll be able afford to buy them are the same "mid-life crisis, small penis, old codgers sporting the 20’s something Malibu Barbie girlfriend” that are buying up all the Vette's they can get their hands on. Your average 25-35 year old guy won't be able to afford to get one brand new. And even after they’ve been around for a couple of years, since their is such a limited number of them built, used ones are going to be go for quite a mint for some time.

Nope….I’ve got a feeling the only Bolt on GT500’s with serious potential that are going to be put in the hands of people that actually buy these cars as drivers and actually know what they’re doing with them are going to be the ones we read in the next few issues of MM&FF.

The other 95% of them are going to be owned by the yuppies I described above and are never going to make it over 55mph on the way to the local “Sunday Night” car show…..at which point they’ll sit stationary behind velvet robes while their owners (who at the time will probably be wearing a Hawaiian shirt, Bermuda shorts and black socks with sandals) sit their, the envy of every Mustang enthusiast at the show and growing older and fatter by the second while slumped over in his lawn chair!!!

/rant

It is a great commercial, and the only reason I posted it was to see how how they brought out the new and old.

Why does any mention of the car always turn into a whining and pissing match. I know very well what it was like in the 60's when the original Shelby's were brought out, and guess what, the average Joe could not afford them just as they can't now. Sure you got some daily drivers, but most were weekend crusiers to impress the average working stiff.

And guess what Gear, I like taking a 40 year old car making it look brand new and sitting on a lawn chair getting fatter. To me it is just as enjoyable as you find making your car faster. We should all enjoy the hobby whichever way we go about it.

RedGTvert said:
It is a great commercial, and the only reason I posted it was to see how how they brought out the new and old.

Why does any mention of the car always turn into a whining and pissing match. I know very well what it was like in the 60's when the original Shelby's were brought out, and guess what, the average Joe could not afford them just as they can't now. Sure you got some daily drivers, but most were weekend crusiers to impress the average working stiff.

And guess what Gear, I like taking a 40 year old car making it look brand new and sitting on a lawn chair getting fatter. To me it is just as enjoyable as you find making your car faster. We should all enjoy the hobby whichever way we go about it.
amen to all of the above man, very well put.

Gearbanger 101 said:
Unfortunately, the only ones who’ll be able afford to buy them are the same "mid-life crisis, small penis, old codgers sporting the 20’s something Malibu Barbie girlfriend” that are buying up all the Vette's they can get their hands on. Your average 25-35 year old guy won't be able to afford to get one brand new. And even after they’ve been around for a couple of years, since their is such a limited number of them built, used ones are going to be go for quite a mint for some time.

Nope….I’ve got a feeling the only Bolt on GT500’s with serious potential that are going to be put in the hands of people that actually buy these cars as drivers and actually know what they’re doing with them are going to be the ones we read in the next few issues of MM&FF.

The other 95% of them are going to be owned by the yuppies I described above and are never going to make it over 55mph on the way to the local “Sunday Night” car show…..at which point they’ll sit stationary behind velvet robes while their owners (who at the time will probably be wearing a Hawaiian shirt, Bermuda shorts and black socks with sandals) sit their, the envy of every Mustang enthusiast at the show and growing older and fatter by the second while slumped over in his lawn chair!!!

/rant

So true! Well said.

You can have both the Overpriced Mustang and the Americal Idiol white trash fat pig.:notnice:

I'd rather have an 07 Grabber Orange GT 5spd. and mod the hell out of it, be way faster and and still be way cheaper than the GT500.

Remember, This is JUST MY OPINION!

Go ahead, Flame away!:rolleyes:

RedGTvert said:
Before you get your panties into a bunch, take another look at what I said. I made no reference to the original GT500 in that statement, I was answering a statement made by myponyrocks with respect to the NEW GT500's popularity and role in comparison to it's Cobra predecessor! Also, I wasn't "whining and pissing" about the car either…..as a matter of fact, I'm one of the few in this thread that really like the car. I just don't like what was done with it from a sales standpoint. Limited production, Shelby Hype, etc, etc. Why couldn't they just mass produce the thing just like they do the GT. The over all car is the same, why not do away with the 3-year limited production and all the hype that goes with it, ditch the dealer mark up that was a result of all of the hype in the first place and just let people enjoy the model for as long as it sells. It seems like Ford just can't go a single year without having some sort of expensive, limited run collectable in it's stable that makes everyone go nuts.

But since you mention it, it’s the very reason why I wouldn’t buy a rare classic like the original in the first place. I don’t have a disposable income that I can just buy a car to sit there and look pretty, or to have bragging rights over a few of my buddies. I don’t want a vehicle I’ve got to make a “special” spot in the garage for, one that I’ve got to rush home at the first sign of rain clouds or that I’ve got to park in the furthest most remote corner of the parking lot for fear of it getting a door ding.

If sinking that kind of money into a car, just so it can sit on display is your idea of ownership, then I guess that's where you and I differ. Not taking anything away from having a presentable ride and showing it off on occasion, but when I buy a vehicle it's primarily goal is to be a driver, not a trophy. What good is owning a $50,000 car like the new GT500 if it's just going to sit there and collect dust. :shrug:

Im just gonna throw this out there:

There will be at least 9,000 Cobras produced in the first model year (07) and rumored 7,000-10,000 each subsequent year. For comparison sake, there were 19,140 03/04 Cobras built over a 2 year run; 16,834 Mach 1's built over a 2 year run, and 5,xxx Bullitts in 01.

Im not trying to start/join any pissing match. But Ive seen 3 or 4 different cases in the last 2 days of people saying how "limited" production for the new Cobras is. Sure they arent going to be produced in numbers like your base GT, thats part of the reason people buy the uppity version of the mustang, exclusivity. Still, its not like Fords building 3 of these things and stopping production.

Now we cant help it that every Tom, Dick and Harry with money to piss away thinks these things are going to be worth millions in 20-30 years, and are willing to pay double MSRP to get their hands on one and keep it in a climate controlled garage until they die. For this reason, like GB pointed out, we may not see quite as many Shelby Cobras running around as 03/04's. But dont blame Ford for that, blame the dealers and the dumbasses paying $80k for one.