Guys with T-5 and 3:73's

• Sponsors (?)

When i had 3.73's i would typically shift into 5th at about 98 MPH, this is taking her up to 5500 RPM in 4th and with 14'' tires. I could cruise down the highway at about 3000 RPM in 5th at 65 MPH, again, with 14'' tires.

a_turbo_stang said:
I think I hit 5th around 45 on daily driving. Gotta keep the noise down or ya will get pulled over in certain areas around here.

HAHAHA, thats gotta suck, I had my mufflers off for a week while I waited to get new ones, oh, believe me, it was fun to hit 4000 in second gear, going about 45, loud as hell, none of the cops cared, they left me alone.

If I'm just drivin' around town normally, I shift from 4th to 5th anywhere from 35 to 40 mph - and it's only revving around 1200-1400 rpm in 5th. I built my set up for gobs of lowend and midrange torque - so it doesn't lug down there in 5th. In fact, you can take a pretty steep hill in mine in 5th at that low rpm. I'm rather proud of that. Lugging is a function of how much torque the motor's producing at that rpm vs. what you're asking the car to do. It doesn't occur at the same rpm under the same conditions in all cases. Also, with different tire diameters (which affect the overall final drive ratio) and the fact that T-5's came with several different 5th gear ratios, the lugging point simply isn't the same in every car.

If you want to know what top speed is in your car in 4th, there are websites out there to help you calculate it. If you're basing all this on stock speedometers and tachometers, they're rarely perfectly accurate - so take it all with a grain of salt.

Black 93 Fox said:
i was wonder what speed i should shift in to 5th in city driving cause if i go to 5th and im going to slow the car lugs bad

The only time I ever go into 5th is on the highway just cruising at 70+, cause mine lugs really bad too. If I'm in town, I don't think I've ever gone above 3rd. I can stay in 3 until about 40-45 (all this according to my speedo, which I'm assuming is close enough to correct to use). I use 4th from 46-70.

Black93 said "i was wonder what speed i should shift in to 5th in city driving cause if i go to 5th and im going to slow the car lugs bad"

The speed that works for your car is whatever speed causes it not to lug - with all the variables no one else can answer it for you; just stay above whatever speed you've figured out in driving yours.

Black93 and pairof9's - what rear gear are you guys running?

I'm an idiot - was looking for your sig info. I guess I'm surprised; saw your sig in another thread, and with 3.73's and a relatively mildly modded engine (if I'm remembering the sig correctly - remember my 'idiot' factor), I'd think your car should pull from 40 or 45 mph in 5th without any problems. Go figure.